Mop up chemo

• 13 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Hi , I had my bowel resection 4 weeks ago. They removed 9 inches of Bowel and the tumour that was the size of a ping pong ball. This had not gone through the bowel wall.They took 36 lymph nodes and I also had a total hysterectomy due to having a 15 cm cyst on my ovary. I had my histology results back last week and my nurse told me they had got all the cancer and my lymph nodes and hysterectomy had no cancer in them ! How ever they have referred me to oncology as they feel I would benefit from chemo. She said this would be a short course and I was wondering if anyone else had experience of this so I know what to expect. I know everyone treatment is different but I think I just need reassurance. Thank you 

• I don't think my case is terribly similar but had 30cm of colon removed end January, they found a lesion on my liver, histology came back as stage 4 but clear in the colon, also after a polyp was removed in Dec in the colon. They told me I had to do chemo for 2 more lesions on my liver... my 3rd cycle is next Monday. I'm very upset doing the chemo, if I were 70 or older I wouldn't do it. I wish you well and do hope your case plays out better. 

• Sorry to hear that , I hope your treatment goes well. I’m hoping i will see the oncologist next week it’s the not knowing that’s hard! Good luck with you treatment and stay strong xxx

• Yes, the but knowing is all consuming... try to do something nice like go for walks, go out to lunch... that's what I try to do. It helps to remind myself of things I like in life. 

• Hi, I had a 3.5cm tumour removed from my sigmoid colon 6 weeks ago today.  I saw the oncologist yesterday and I am T3N0M0 so 21 lymph nodes removed and all clear however I have been offered chemo in the form of capecitibine tablets but was shocked that this is for 6 months so 8 cycles!!   This is mop up chemo so I was expecting 3 months at most Cry.  However I am going to do it as I don’t want to have any regrets.  I start on Monday so not too much time to stress before first cycle kicks off!  hope you don’t have long to wait to get your chemo plan.  

• Thank you for your reply, I’m hoping that that is what I will be offered . I am hoping it will only be 3 months but won’t know until I see the oncologist. I hope your treatment goes well and goes quickly for you xx good luck for Monday 

• Hi col2 ... I am too waiting for resection & hysterectomy. 
    Hope you are doing well ! May I ask. Was it key hole you had done.? Very anxious ! How was your recovery ? Thank you.

• Good morning  

I am just through cycle 1 of preventative chemotherapy for Bowel cancer. I am on the Capox regime so an infusion of Oxaliplatin on day 1 and then two weeks of Capecitabine tablets. This is for three cycles, so 9 weeks in total. 

Experience wise - it’s been okay. ‘Okay’ is a good description. The week after the infusion was the hardest but has been manageable for me. The second week was better and I managed to get out and about a bit more from time to time (when it wasn’t raining!!) and this is my rest week and I feel better again compared to week 1. The hardest part is trying not to feel lazy when you are falling asleep in the afternoon or asking for help constantly (the Oxaliplatin hates cold and so my husband was doing lots of stuff for me including anything involving the fridge / freezer). I have tried to be kind to myself and just ‘go with it’ rather than stress about not doing enough.

I don’t know what cycles 2 and 3 will bring… cycle 2 starts on Friday. 

Happy to answer any more questions if I can be of help. Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. 

• Hi Welshlady66,

sorry to hear you are have to go through this as well ! My surgery was done robotically, they did hysterectomy part  first then the bowel resection. Both my surgeons were fantastic and made me feel at ease. It took around 8 hours and I was back on the ward soon after. I’m fortunate that I have a high pain threshold so didn’t need any pain medication, they used an epidural type injection in my spine that stopped any pain ( don’t panic it’s not that bad ) I was up and walking around the next morning and eating a low fiber diet as I was on the enhanced recovery. I was able to go home on day 3 and the recovery has been good so far! I’m 4 weeks post op and can walk short distance and building it up each week ! Just rest when you need to and don’t push yourself to do things , I know I’m tempted to do stuff I shouldn’t x I wish you all the best and I’m sure you will be fine. Good luck with your operation and wish you a speedy recovery . Stay positive and strong and you have got this !

• Hi Rowbee, 

thank you for your reply, I’m still waiting to hear from oncology so don’t know my treatment plan yet ! I know what ever I have to have won’t be pleasant and will come with side effects. I’m just hoping it will be a short course what ever I have . I hope your next two rounds go well and don’t cause you to many problems x and I will be in touch if I need to know anything else x stay strong you sound like you have got this in the bag x

• Thank you for your reply ! You sound so brave ! Hopefully I will gain your strength when my turn comes around. I am and always have been scared of needles & pain but I know that it has to be done so I will put on my brave pants for sure ! My hysterectomy is being done as I have lynch syndrome & as preventative surgery. My cancer has been caught early. Not sure if I will need chemo, my consultant said this will be advised after resection. 
    May your recovery continue to be smooth & healthy ! X