Mop up chemo

• 13 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Hi , I had my bowel resection 4 weeks ago. They removed 9 inches of Bowel and the tumour that was the size of a ping pong ball. This had not gone through the bowel wall.They took 36 lymph nodes and I also had a total hysterectomy due to having a 15 cm cyst on my ovary. I had my histology results back last week and my nurse told me they had got all the cancer and my lymph nodes and hysterectomy had no cancer in them ! How ever they have referred me to oncology as they feel I would benefit from chemo. She said this would be a short course and I was wondering if anyone else had experience of this so I know what to expect. I know everyone treatment is different but I think I just need reassurance. Thank you 

• Hopefully you won’t need chemo , fingers crossed for you x think I’m still hoping that they will say I don’t need it , but my nurse seems to think I will . What will be will be and if it means I get to be around for a long time I’m willing to do whatever it takes xx please keep me updated on your progress and recovery! 

• Hi Col2. I had a partial colon removal in December and this was followed by mop up chemo (Capox). I've just completed my 3rd of 4 cycles and have to say I didn't find the side effects too bad. More uncomfortable than anything else - tiredness, stomach bloating, three days of constipation, some lightheadedness when getting up from a chair or bed which passed quickly. But whatever side effects you encounter the oncology team can advise and, if necessary, prescribe meds or adjust your chemo dosage. My oncology team and the Macmillan Support Worker have been brilliant and have always addressed any concerns and problems I've had, so don't worry too much - you'll have a good support team to help you through. All the best, Steve x.

• Thank you, this makes me feel more optimistic about treatment. Hope everything goes well for you . Look after yourself x