Stage 4 bowel

• 1 reply
  • 84 subscribers

Hi. My husband had recently been diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer with  liver and lung mets. He is starting chemo with Folfox shortly and has had a stoma bag fitted this week. 
Has anyone had positive results with treating lung mets as we have been told it’s not curable. 
Thank you 

• Hi  

Welcome to the forum .

Once cancer has spread they move from aiming to cure to to try and stabilise the  spread . However they continually scan , reassess and see what other approaches can be applied to treat the disease .

It does take a while to adjust to the treatment approach and hospitals do become part of the fabric of life . It takes time to get a handle on this part and make an effort to continue carving a quality life out of the time away from hospital whist keeping a handle on the treatment .

However it is doable and communication with the team is essential. They have a vast knowledge at their disposal and often quick interactions can change nagging side effects. We also find my mum’s GP incredible.

My mum was diagnosed back in 2009 . Realistically it took about two years to gain proper stability . Chemo was very powerful for her and she has actually had three surgeries over the years . She had another recurrence back in 2022 . But lots and lots of living in between .

It became more manageable and less frightening. Although some parts still trigger anxiety she has accomplished so much after a difficult diagnosis and always held onto Hope . 

The first round of chemo was the steep learning curve but after that we got up and as my mum likes to say it was best foot forward !

From the second year onwards she has planned , been sensible but lived .

She has had both liver and lung involvement over the years but there is a sub group who continue to do well despite a difficult diagnosis.

They say it’s a marathon not a sprint in a stage 4 setting .

Take special care and ask anything you like . 
    We are here to support .

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000