Tests lead to colonoscopy

• 5 replies
  • 100 subscribers

My wife has had 3 months of constipation and some blood - she has also had hemmoroidhs. She went to the doctor a month ago and doctor did an xray and said she was blocked. Put her on a light laxative and that improved things but still on some days she struggles.

today she went back after a month with a stool sample and waited for an hour. Results are blood in the stool and inflammation as below:

Fecal Occult Blood: Negative
Transferrin: Positive
Calprotectin: Positive
Lactoferrin:Negative

Doctor has now given a colonoscopy appointment for 2 weeks time. My wife is choosing to stay calm but I am very anxious, we are a young family we are only 38 and have 2 kids.

I know no one can tell me what will happen but what do those results from the stool mean?

thanks

• Anyone shed any light on the results? What they could mean? I am feeling really anxious but I want to help support my wife.

• Hi  I can’t interpret the test results but maybe you could ring the support desk on the number below and they may be able to help?

There are lots of conditions that can cause symptoms similar to bowel cancer like ibs, colitis, diverticulitis, crohns and only 1 in 10 colonoscopies results in a bowel cancer diagnosis.

It’s difficult waiting for appointments but try not to worry about something that is not a fact. The colonoscopy prep can be a bit grim so post again if you need any tips and please let us know how she gets on?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hey, there is a live chat on this site where you can chat to a nurse directly. Wonder if they could help? 

• We are based outside UK so they can’t help. I’m just worried sick thinking what it could be . She is staying calm and we are going on holiday tomorrow and she has asked me not to worry but I’m really anxious.

• Don't worry about things you can only guess at. Blood can be present for a number of reasons and the colonoscopy can identify the cause. On these pages we all moan about the bowel prep, not the procedure,  which involves having to drink pints of flavoured water to purge the system. It is important to do this 

Dulac