4th cycle of capox - 1st throat spasms.

• 21 replies
  • 89 subscribers

Just started my 4th cycle of capox today and had my first throat spasm on the way out. Wow that was scary. I'm glad I had read about them here otherwise I would have really panicked! I knew I just had to keep breathing but I was also making a very loud croup like noise in the middle of the hospital exit. It eventually passed but took a while. 

• Hi  

I heard a lady in the waiting room demonstrating the way it affected her and there were some sound effects . My mum only had it once and still talks about it . They did make adjustments and she never experienced it again  thankfully but once was most definitely enough . It does sound a horrible sensation.

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• It was really difficult, especially as my husband was out waiting in the car. It also went on for far longer than I thought it would.

Fingers crossed that's the only one!

• Me too!! First cycle was Monday and as soon as drip was out, bam throat spasms..   Reading about it before really helped, it was more manageable than I expected, although I was glad to have the nurse sat with me talking me through it.  She said I may never have another!!  So odd.  Hope yours is a one off

• Oh I hope so too. They are so strange aren't they? I'm glad you had a nurse with you, were you making the strange loud noises? I think that was the worst part!

• Yes, the air breathing out over the spasm was really loud!!

• When I experianced the throat spasm,the staff put a heated pad on my chest and throat.they also suggested a warm drink from the machine to sip on the journey home.worked well

Kath

• That's a great suggestion. Costa stop on the way out next time.

Thank you

• I felt so rough at the end of rounds 3-6 ox infusion, even with the dose being reduced for number 4.   I negotiated that the nurses let me stay sitting down for 30 mins after the infusion ended,  until I felt OK and the odd noises and Barry White sounds settled.   They gave me hot water to drink too, which really, really helped.  I usually started to feel rough about 20 mins before infusion ended and it just built up from there.  Those 30 mins gave me time to relax into my new voice box, feet and legs and get over the hot flushes and faintness I was experiencing.       I also suffered with leg pain at this point and found that I couldn't walk very well, imagine a Barry White sounding penguin.    As you are getting this effect, I would recommend (from experience) getting a wheel chair to get you out to the car so you don't breathe too heavily and take your time after the infusion and drink hot water.  Don't try to talk to anyone either.    You'll get there!

• Thank you, that all sounds like very helpful advice. 

• I had this on my first round, so scary. I had nurses shout get a hot drink as they thought I’d had a cold drink - I’d come back from the toilet! 
    Thankfully they gave me a steam inhaler which I take to every session, at the end I get it filled with hot water to help me breathe. It really helps for the journey home and I’ve not had one since.

I always feel awful for several hours after mine and usually straight to bed, but some of sessions have been late in the day.

My last session is next week so I’m hoping for an easy end!