4th cycle of capox - 1st throat spasms.

• 21 replies
  • 90 subscribers

Just started my 4th cycle of capox today and had my first throat spasm on the way out. Wow that was scary. I'm glad I had read about them here otherwise I would have really panicked! I knew I just had to keep breathing but I was also making a very loud croup like noise in the middle of the hospital exit. It eventually passed but took a while. 

• Good luck for your last session Bex -  You've nearly done it!!  The best bit is taking the very last Capecitabine tablet and feeling so much better a week after that!
    I had to go straight to bed after each infusion session too, best way to deal with it.  Love that you had a steam inhaler, great idea! 

• You have nearly reached the end!  Well done and hope it is uneventful.  I am nearly finished round one tablets, very little affects so far and can carry on pretty much as normal (although still 9 weeks post op and definitely no where near recovered!).  Not looking forward to next oxy, but feel way more prepared now. 

Hope you have somethng nice planned in the weeks after your last cycle, you will have earnt it!

• Wish I did have something nice planned, but I’m heading into radiotherapy the week after. 

Planning a little break away when radio has finished Fingers crossed tone1

• Thank you for your suggestions, did you  get one again after the first? 

Good luck next week!

• Thankfully, no I didn’t.

i kind of preempt having one so I have my steam inhaler, a wooly hat and gloves and a scarf - I am a site to behold when I leave the hospital Joy

• Are you still taking capecitabine for the RT treatment? Is it 5 or 25 days?   Get some dioralyte sachets in just in case.  I found the cape pretty evil after 25 days of chemo/ RT and 6 rounds of Capox.-  it seems to be cummulative in it's effects and I was a wreck by the end.  I am now having less of a relationship with my toilet!     

• I will be taking the cepecitabine with the RT treatment. It's 5 days over 5 weeks.

Its been bad some days but for the most part ok - don't get me wrong I know my toilet better than any other room in the house!

• Get some dioralyte in -  Cape becomes evil at the drop of a hat!    Everything crossed you will be OK with it.  I did the chemo/RT before full chemo, so lower rate of capecitabine, but boy, it is one evil drug!    I've had a great chemo RT result though, so everything crossed for you.   .lol, survived the squits, just to be put on water tablets for swollen legs and feet -  GP warned I'd be running to the toilet - I pointed out that I was used to that! 

• I have my last  (4/4) Capox infusion tomorrow, the first 2 were no problem and very few side effects, No 3 was worse but still ok, my throat started to close up when in the chair but quickly past. So not looking forward to tomorrow but keep thinking every day after will be one closer to the finish line, and feeling better ! Its good reading other peoples stories and how they have dealt with side effects so thank  you all for the input.  I'm expecting the worse so it can only improve from there. 

• Congratulations on your last treatment! I spoke to my oncologist about the spasms and she advised to stay in the unit for up to a half hour after the infusion finishing and asking them for a hot drink towards the end of the treatment. Hope all goes OK tomorrow.