Distal/Proximal: need help to understand the terminology

• 5 replies
  • 98 subscribers

I had two rectal polyps. Proximal polyp is a tumour and am receiving treatment. Distal polyp was benign, removed by Sigmoidoscopy. Can someone please explain what the terms "distal" and "proximal" mean in this context please? I understand that distal means further away and proximal means closer to, but closer to what? Is the distal polyp further away from my anus and the proximal one closer to? Or is one closer to the centre of my rectum than the other? The reason this matters is that the lower the tumour (the closer to the anal verge), the less rectum I will have left after surgery (and therefore greater problems with recovering bowel function).

• Hi  

The surgical terms can be difficult to interpret.

I am no surgeon for sure but I think this is quite straightforward. It seems to describe the location in the actual colon 

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Just to show you the two areas described.

If you ever want help decoding something especially at the diagnostic stage when you are just becoming familiar with the surgical language out helpline is also available and will get you the help you need .

0808 808 0000

I can understand your concern and getting your questions answered is so important.

All the very best going forward .

Court 

• Thank you for this. Both polyps are mid-rectal and so in this context the Proximal one is "higher", closer to the Sigmoid colon, and the Distal one is "lower", closer to the anus, correct?

• Got it now  . In my limited understanding that’s how I would I understand it . With the distal one being located lower than the proximal one . 

The surgical  definitions are a bit of a  nightmare but the nurses would be happy to clarify it for you . 

Court