Oxaliplatin Reaction

• 8 replies
  • 101 subscribers

I had my 3rd infusion of oxaliplatin today and suffered a reaction  shortly after. Racing heart rate, high blood pressure, felt hot and like I was going to faint. I was given IV hydrocortisone, IV piriton and IV fluids. After about 10 minutes I felt ‘normal’ again and obs improved.

Has anyone else suffered a reaction? Is the next round still likely to go ahead?

Hope you are all as well as can be

Rachael

• Hi Rachael, I didn’t have that kind of reaction to Oxaliplatin but was eventually taken off it because it gave me permanent neuropathy. I also had a severe reaction to Capecitabine very early on so was given an alternative drug. I finished my chemotherapy early on just Raltitrexed. I mention this to hopefully provide you with some reassurance that the oncologists have more than one drug they can use to get you through the planned course of treatment.  My oncologist would review my previous cycle and side effects before authorising the next round and change dosage and chemo drugs accordingly. I do recall feeling hot on more than one occasion so that might not be something to unduly worry about.

If you read my profile you’ll see why my chemo ended early so your reaction may not solely be medical.

I would suggest speaking with your care team if you’re worried about your next round. I recall that four rounds of chemotherapy tends to be the ‘standard treatment’ so imagine they will do all they can to ensure you can complete the ‘standard treatment’.

Stay strong.

Tom

• Thank you for your reply.

I have just read your journey and note that we both have signet cell cancer. I am on round 3 of 4 of adjuvant chemotherapy. I will have an appointment to discuss any symptoms with my oncologist in just over 2 weeks time but the nurse that was with me seemed to think that the next round will go ahead with additional treatment before to prevent a reaction. 
    Today, I have received an appointment for a CT for next month which is much earlier than I expected, I was told it would be 6 months post op but it’s only 4.

I hope you get to have immunotherapy to help with your spread, I’m currently awaiting testing for lynch syndrome and would have liked to have been offered immunotherapy but apparently is not the standard treatment.

Rachael

• Hi  

They have a few tricks up their sleeves and see this a lot !

For my mum the added something prior to her infusion , slowed down her infusion and reduced the dose . Made a big difference to the side effects but it did mean a longer day at the infusion centre . However she preferred that to the horrible feelings she had .

take care ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi Court and thank you for your reply.

It was an awful experience, thankfully the next infusion should be my last and I will discuss the plan with them in a few weeks as it frightens me now. I have also received a CT appointment for next month, I thought it was going to be 6 months post op but it will have only been 4 so I’m hoping that’s positive.

I hope your mum is continuing to do well.

Rachael x

• Hi Rachael,

I'm sorry your infusion didn't end well - that must have been really frightening, I hope your next cycle goes ahead as planned. After my first infusion I felt really hot and dizzy but is passed really quickly so nothing as bad as yours was.

Brenda x

• My husband has just had his first chemo and had a similar reaction they said they can give it slower next time so hopefully it should be better 

• I’m sorry to hear your husband has had a reaction. I did receive the last round of my treatment, I was given IV steroids before and it was given at a slower rate. Unfortunately, I still had two reactions during the infusion and it was deemed unsafe to continue.

I hope the next infusion goes well for your husband. I know it’s hard but I tried not to panic when the reactions occurred as it made my heart rate so much higher.

Rachael x

• Thankyou it was very scary he’s not been able to get out of bed since he came home hopefully they will sort it for him x