Tumour removal and having a temporary stoma

• 49 replies
  • 92 subscribers

I have been having (Rapido) radiotherapy and then chemotherapy as treatment for my mid section rectal cancer. I had hoped to be one of those for whom this treatment alone would be enough to effect a cure, but although I have responded well, the Oncologist is strongly suggesting that a resection is the best next step. I don't want to have further chemo, which she says is unlikely to have any significant benefits, and I'm now more or less resigned to having the op. My question is - what proportion of these ops are done with keyhole (laparascopic) surgery as opposed to open surgery, and can I request it elsewhere if my surgeon doesn't do it this way?. Secondly, what is it like to have a temporary stoma - how much impact does it have on day to day life? Any tips / hints / useful info?

Thanks

Richard

• I guess it’s fear of the unknown Kath when you first face it and can’t imagine what it will be like. I really didn’t give it much thought-just focused on the cancer being out. But my stomas don’t really impact negatively on my life either-except if I have a bag leak or explosion! Neither of them stop me living my life, and that’s the main thing. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Yes I didnt have a choice so just focused on the future and the positives

Kath

• I did too because I had no other option, and I’m so glad to be here still!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Katz51 & SarahH21

You are both inspirational. 

I did think about not getting the op but I knew of someone who refused. It was terrible for his family

Think I’d rather not choose that

I’d say get hit by a bus however living in a village that’s extremely unlikely 

I was so relieved when I felt my stoma and that horrid Cancer was out.

Ann
     ‍Art

• I knew someone who refused my type of surgery too, Ann. Heck, I’ve even known ladies refuse a hysterectomy for my particular cancer. I have to say I never thought about not getting it done-it’s not all that common with cervical cancer as the cancer has often spread outside the pelvis which rules it out, so I knew how fortunate I was to be offered the chance of it at all. Happy days!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• I decided that it was a "no brainer" throw everything offered at it,then I would have no regrets.op,iliostomy,chemo.

It has worked so farFingers crossedFingers crossed

kath

• Hello Richard,

Have you got a date yet for your surgery. They have told me today my date is the 9th August. I go on holiday the 21st July until 5th August so not much time to think about it when I get back. Very scary but it will be good to get it in the bin. 

I have had my pre-pre op today so am isolating until Wednesday when I go in for my pre-op.

Stay safe

Julie

• Good luck Juls 

Keep us updated and just go with it. That’s what I did focus on getting it sorted 

I will be thinking of you

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hello Artsie

Looking forward to putting it in the bin. The risks they point out are so scary but they were the same when I had the chemotherapy appointment and I only had about 3 side effects . I am sure it is just to cover all bases. I am very lucky in the fact I don't tend to worry about things , just get nervous the day before , so going to on holiday and forget about it until I come back. 

Julie

• Having a holiday before is the best prep to be found. 
    Have a lovely time. 
    The risks I was told were horrendous but I was then in the fight mode I hated that in my body. Plus I knew they had to tell me every risk possible

Its empowering to know it’s not going to be there long

Hope you have a lovely time 

Ann
     ‍Art