Tumour removal and having a temporary stoma

• 49 replies
  • 93 subscribers

I have been having (Rapido) radiotherapy and then chemotherapy as treatment for my mid section rectal cancer. I had hoped to be one of those for whom this treatment alone would be enough to effect a cure, but although I have responded well, the Oncologist is strongly suggesting that a resection is the best next step. I don't want to have further chemo, which she says is unlikely to have any significant benefits, and I'm now more or less resigned to having the op. My question is - what proportion of these ops are done with keyhole (laparascopic) surgery as opposed to open surgery, and can I request it elsewhere if my surgeon doesn't do it this way?. Secondly, what is it like to have a temporary stoma - how much impact does it have on day to day life? Any tips / hints / useful info?

Thanks

Richard

• I had 4 rounds of Xelox (Capox), and while it was not very pleasant, it didn't stop me doing much. Felt a bit nauseous, but was never sick, and it had no effect at all on my bowels, so even with the stoma, you may well be ok. Worst side effects were numbing and tingling of the hands and feet, but this doesn't last too long. You will get tired though - I;m in bed by 10.00 most days now. I also went right off alcohol :-(

Looking forward to steak, chips and red wine!

Richard

• Hello Richard,

Have you any news on your operation yet. I see my surgeon on the 27th so should know more then. 

Hope all is going well.

Julie

• Hi Julie

I'm seeing the surgeon next Friday, 24th, so we can compare notes the week after. Good luck with your consultation.

Best

Richard

• Hello Richard,

How did your appointment go with your surgeon. I had my appointment yesterday, the tumour responded well to the treatment but we do need surgery to put it in the bin. We are going for an anterior resection mid August haven't got an exact date yet. All the risks sound very scary but it needs to be done, he is hoping the resection will go well and no stoma but can't guarantee as with any operation until he is in there he doesn't know what to expect as scans only show so much.He is going to start with keyhole surgery but will need to make a larger incision to take out the section he is removing.

Hope your appointment went well and they are sorting you out soon.

Julie

• Hi Julie

Everything you have written could have been written by me! Like you, I have responded well to the radio and chemo, and the tumour is much reduced. However, I have been recommended to have the surgery because it hasn't gone completely, so I have signed the forms and am waiting for a date for the op, probably late July or early August. I'm also aiming to have keyhole surgery which should reduce the time in hospital to 4-5 days. My consultant said it was probable that I would need a stoma, but there is a chance that if all goes very well, it could be avoided. I'm planning for worst case, anyhow.

Currently enjoying a few weeks without treatment, and very happy to read that Adele Roberts, the radio DJ, who has gone through the same process, is now declared cancer free. Something to look forward to.

Keep well and keep in touch.

Richard

• Hey juls & Bathboy

I had a LAR and have a stoma that’s no bother and I’m enjoying life to the full. If you need a stoma for the Cancer to be in the bin it’s really worth it. Adele had a stoma I think she could it Audrey. Mines Whoopi they’re life savers 
    Good luck to you both 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Richard,

Great news about Adele Roberts, such sad news about Dame Deborah but what an inspiration. I have decided to go on holiday for a couple of weeks end of July my surgeon is working around it , just feel I need a break. Also get my extra Covid booster 18th July. Looks like our treatments are identical , will definitely keep in touch. Please let ,me know when you have a date for the op. 

Julie

• Hello Artsie,

I have followed a lot of your responses to people , it is so good to hear the positives. I agree if a stoma is needed much better than the cancer. So looking forward to it going in the bin.

Keep up the good work with all the advice much appreciated.

Julie

• Hi 

is always very positive about living with a stoma, and there are many of us who manage very well with them. Mine are both permanent so no reversal for me, but you get used to this way of life very quickly and stomas are indeed lifesavers. If you need one, it is so worth it.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• I fully agree sarah.mine is also permanent but no bother.It really doesnt impact on my life at all.people really shouldnt be frightened about having one.

Kath