Tumour removal and having a temporary stoma

• 49 replies
  • 89 subscribers

I have been having (Rapido) radiotherapy and then chemotherapy as treatment for my mid section rectal cancer. I had hoped to be one of those for whom this treatment alone would be enough to effect a cure, but although I have responded well, the Oncologist is strongly suggesting that a resection is the best next step. I don't want to have further chemo, which she says is unlikely to have any significant benefits, and I'm now more or less resigned to having the op. My question is - what proportion of these ops are done with keyhole (laparascopic) surgery as opposed to open surgery, and can I request it elsewhere if my surgeon doesn't do it this way?. Secondly, what is it like to have a temporary stoma - how much impact does it have on day to day life? Any tips / hints / useful info?

Thanks

Richard

• Hi there

I had Lower anterior resection starting with keyhole then incision to lift my bowel to get at my low tumour. I have an ileostomy which may be reversed so after a six hour op you could say I was hit by a bus. I was out in five days. Recovery took quite a while slow and steady won the race. My stoma is no bother. I’ve been to stay in hotels. First time was six weeks after op. I’ve travelled to Spain and have lots to look forward to. Once that cancers in the bin it’s a game changer. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• I had a panproctocolectomy and after 8 hours in theatre  apart from the iliostomy and barbie bum ,all I had to show was a tiny scar in my navel.

Sorry I dont know the percentages.

I have a permanent stoma and it doesnt cause me any problems.feel free to click on my name to read my bio.

All the best

Kath

• Thanks for this, it's useful information.

• Thanks for this, it's useful information.

• Hello Richard,

I have been having (RAPIDO)Had the short course radiotherapy in January, just finished the chemotherapy, I have had a CT scan, on Thursday I will have my MRI scan, always a nervous time waiting for results, so I will be in a similar position to you in a couple of weeks.

I haven't spoken to anyone else who has been on the RAPIDO as it is relevantly new in the UK.

After my MDT meeting I will be meeting with my surgeon to discuss the next step.

Hope all goes well.

Julie

• Hi Julie

Yes, we are pretty much in the same boat. I saw my Oncologist again yesterday and the next appointment will be with the surgeon to discuss the operation. I don't know about you, but I've had enough of chemo, and am looking forward to a few drug free weeks before the operation. I really hope you are one of the 30% on Rapido who find that radio and chemo is all they need, but if not, let's compare notes about next steps. 

• Hi,

I don't know what chemo you went for.

I was on oxolaplatin and 5fu, I had to have a pump on for 48 hours after the iv infusion. I didn'thave the tablets. Managed 6 cycles although originally I was down to have 9 cycles. Pretty tough going. Finished chemo 6 weeks ago now , so starting to feel a bit better. We will defiantly compare notes.

Julie

• Hi

I wanted to add. 
    I went along with my surgeons choice of method of removing the tumour however a friend of the family was given a choice of robotic or surgery. I think I depends on where it is and the bes access to get at it. 
    Keep us posted

Ann
     ‍Art

• I had Oxaliplatin infusion and Capecitabine tablets to take at home. I managed 4 x 4 week cycles, but really don't want any more - still waiting for full feeling to come back in my fingers and feet!

• Given a choice, which I don't know yet, I'd go for robotic first, keyhole next and open surgery last of all. I'm told recovery is much quicker if you can avoid open surgery.