Star Trec

• 13 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Help help help.

I have T2 rectal cancer. I went to see the Surgeon last Friday and he said that I may be able to take part in a trial called Star Trec. Has anyone had this treatment,?

can’t get many answers, don’t fancy Radiation, the other option is surgery. What do I do, they are ringing tomorrow for an answer.

• Hi 

Just going to quickly have a look at the trail ! Is there a particular aspect of radiotherapy that concerns you ? I am going to tag in  to give you some insight just in case it answers some questions , not to add any pressure though! 
    Do you know the type of surgical procedure as many people here will have encountered it and will share their experiences. 
    Give me a wee minute to have a look !

Court 

PS our helpline is also open if you would like to phone them ! 0808 808 0000 , the nurses might be able to talk it through with you ! 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/find-a-clinical-trial/a-trial-looking-at-surgery-or-different-types-of-radiotherapy-for-rectal-cancer-star-trec

Just for others reading to see if they can share their experiences.

Two arms of the trial seems like five days of high impact radiation over standard chemo/radiotherapy!

If anyone reading has had chemo/radiotherapy could you share your experiences to provide some insight please !

Chemo/radiotherapy is used a lot in rectal cancer so just in case others are not currently reading if you use the little search icon on the top right hand side of the page and type in “ chemo/radiotherapy it will pull up previous posts to read !

I see you are an early diagnosis and that can bring about its own complex decision as well over which option is best !

Although we can’t tell you what to do Hopefully if others can share their experiences it will give you more information from which to make a decision!

If your still uncertain explain that to you team and ask for more information. It’s important to take the time to get confidence in what your agreeing to .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you.Having radiotherapy is dangerous. I’ve been advised by a nurse not to undertake it.

• Really did they say that !

Do you think it would help if you got to speak to the radiotherapy department and get some understanding on the science behind it ! I am no dr but I think you will find out that they only give a safe dose and it is carefully worked out . They have medical physicist whose job it is to make sure the dose is always correct ! They would not be allowed to give you a dangerous dose . However I can see this persons advise has caused you concern so I am going to ask Macmillan to give you some support around this !

Also I really think you need to tell your team this and let them explain it to you ! 
    Let me see if I can get you some better information!

Also I am really sorry you are having to deal with this concern on top of the decision.

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatments-and-drugs/radiotherapy-for-rectal-cancer

This is Macmillan’s information leaflet for you to read just now !

Can I ask is the nurse someone you know outside the hospital or part of the team treating you ?

I always find it best to speak to the actual team as they are normally current on what is the best approach!

Someone gave my mum a bit of advice but it was not actually their field and not up to date !

I have asked Macmillan to have a look at offering some support and information for you ! But tell your team what you have been told and let the Drs help you get the proper information.

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• The nurse is a member of the family and she has been a bowel cancer nurse for a number of years. She retired 2 years ago.

• Right , I think you really need to talk with your team . I can see why that would cause you concern but my understanding is that the correct dose is the important thing . Even with chemotherapy they have put a lot of work into finding out the right toxicity level , enough to kill the cancer but keep the patient safe . 
    However I am not sure the context of your relatives information and it might help you to hear the drs opinion before you make a decision for yourself then you will have heard all aspects !

I really feel for you as that’s a lot to process !

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• I will talk with the team. I do hope that someone comes forward, who has been on the trial

once again.

Thank you 

• Hi @Ynot. I’ve not heard of this trial and can’t find anything on here or the bowel cancer uk board about it either. I have had chemoradiotherapy though and it’s standard treatment for rectal cancer as it is effective at shrinking the tumour - mine shrank from 4cm to 1cm. The chemo part is a mild dose in tablet form and enhances the effect of the radiotherapy. 
    All radiotherapy/X-rays/scans carry an element of risk but I think dangerous is maybe an over excessive term? Before treatment you are scanned and tattooed with 3 tiny dots to mark the tumour and this is used by the radiographers to line the machine up to make sure the correct area is treated. There are people on here who have had their tumour totally zapped and are now on watch and wait with regular check ups. I had very little side effects and the radiographers checked that I was ok at each session.

I took part in a different trial which involved having 4 extra chemo sessions alongside my chemoradiotherapy and I met with a member of the trial team every week to see how I was doing and if I was having any side effects.

As court says you really need to raise your concerns with the team and I’m sure they’ll be able to arrange for the radiography consultant to speak with you

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm