Peeling fingers

• 32 replies
  • 89 subscribers

I'm on my 3rd cycle of capecitabine, I've been following lots of advice I've found on this site, on line etc but my fingers still feel weird and my finger tips are peeling.

I've tried primrose oil, bio oil, calamine solution, normal moisturisers such as Ulay etc 

Just wondered if anyone has found anything else useful ? Thanks, Carog

• Hi Davisio

i have B12 injections every 3 months and I was never advised to stop them, so check with your team what supplements you can/can’t take. Also with the rash you might need a mild hydrocortisone cream, but in the meantime use the cream you put on your hands, that might ease it.

have you got any gelclair concentrated oral rinse gel for your mouth? I found it really helpful. You can get that prescribe. 

I’m sure you’ve been advised but taking paracetamol and ibuprofen regularly wether you need it or not takes the edge of the pain and aches.

hope you feel better soon x

• Thankyou for replying.....I have used biotene. Dry mouth gel....which didn't really help...I also have dry mouth gel...it's just called that...but it says you mustn't swallow any...which I would find difficult....I can't help swallowing a little of the biotene...but that's ok...as it's mostly glycerine...but will try that one you mentioned....will also ask the team nurses about vitamins.....I have some Tesco Vit B complex....perhaps I might try those? When I looked up Vit B deficiency causes....all the symptoms we all seem to be getting came up....so maybe they will help...thanks again :)

• Dear Davisio, Sorry you are have such a tough time. Maybe you can have a longer break between the next cycle to recover. Bioiten do lozenges and pastilles which you can suck which might work better than the gels. I don't know what your teeth problem is but Sensodyne is good for sensitive teeth. Rub it on any area that hurts. There are 7 different types of Sensodyne, all work but each has a different taste and different ingredients.

I was told vit B6 is the one we need so I bought some online.

I have moisturisers by every sink and use them straight away, seems to help. Take care x

• Ps forgot Difflam mouthwash for sore mouth my hospital prescribed it for me but you can buy it x

• Yes, I’ve got that one too. It numbs the mouth. I used it to help with eating 

• Thanks again.....I have diflam....helps a bit...but then my tongue gets really dry during the night...teeth are just super sensitive...the lozenges or pastille sound a good idea....I bought some corsodyl toothpaste which was recommended for bleeding gums....yes...I have that too ....but my goodness ...did that hurt....most painful toothpaste ever...so tried to find a toothpaste without sodium Laureth sulphate ....I think one of the sensodyne toothpastes doesn't have that...but actually...I have found that the Lidls and Aldi sensitive toothpastes don't have it....and they are really good...and super cheap.....also found a charcoal soft toothbrush in Tesco for £1 .....which is a help too.... and I'm going to keep hand cream near the kitchen sink !!!! thanks again for lots of advice on here...don't know what I'd do without this forum : )

• Also Veggie Lady has had similar experience to you, chemo and radio first. Not sure how you find her on this forum. I had surgery LARS and ileostomy then chemo so side effect are on top of dealing with a 'bag' and all the dietary problems that come with it ! Night night xXx

• Hi Davisio, 

I hope your side effects are beginning to ease as the chemo wears off. re vitamin tablets:  my oncologist said it was fine to carry on taking a multivitamin throughout treatment. She said the advice about not taking supplements came from when it was trendy to take massive doses of vitamin C, which would interfere with chemo. Boots Own multivitamin was fine. Mind you, on my very bad days  I couldn’t manage to swallow it!  Be assured it does get better. Very best of luck with your post chemo scan. I had a ct scan two weeks after finishing chemo xx

• Thanks for your reply....Veggie Lady has popped up .....I'm sorry to hear you have been suffering too....and with all those other procedures....I still don't know what Lars and illeostomys are....please excuse my ignorance ....but not being told what happens next....I don't know about these things...only what I can gather on here...I have read that some people have a bag permanently...some have a temporary one and then get it reversed ...and some people decide not to have it reversed ...because of going through more pain and problems.....will yoube able to have your bag reversed? Hope you are feeling better xx

• Hi veggie lady ! Thankyou for your reply.....great advice about vitamins....I do miss taking vitamins...especially being on this low residue diet.....although ...looking back...I'm wondering if I took too many vitamins and that has caused the cancer...I was trying to keep myself well with good eating ...excercise....so as not to get unwell ...what with the pandemic ..and the NHS struggling....and then I end up burdening the NHS more.....thats what I find distressing .....

i looked up your profile....and it seems you were on a similar treatment as me....and how fantastic that all the treatment worked for you...and you might not have to have an op....so pleased for you...and am hoping for something similar....but I'm worried that I didn't finish the first round of oxaliplatin ...should have had 4.... but could only manage 2..,,,I wanted to continue on a lower dose....but the team said no...and I was to stop...because I had all the side effects....so I'm hoping that won't go against me.....I finished the 51/2 weeks of radiochemo on 21st July...and have appointments for ct and MRI scans on 27th and 30th August...seems a while to wait...but I'm praying for a good outcome.......I am just beginning to feel better....rash on my chest is a bit better...eyes not so sore....and tongue and mouth a bit better....hands are still weird...very red palms and shiny slippery shrivelled fingers...beginning to peel a bit....I also have a small actinic keratosis on my arm.....which is worrying that it might be cancer....am putting fluorouracil cream on..........I shall get some multivitamins from Boots.....Thankyou very much for your advice....and hope you are keeping well xxx