Peeling fingers

• 32 replies
  • 89 subscribers

I'm on my 3rd cycle of capecitabine, I've been following lots of advice I've found on this site, on line etc but my fingers still feel weird and my finger tips are peeling.

I've tried primrose oil, bio oil, calamine solution, normal moisturisers such as Ulay etc 

Just wondered if anyone has found anything else useful ? Thanks, Carog

• So this is a thing! I have been blaming my old phone but sometimes I can't answer the calls or log in to things.

Glad I discovered this thread.

Megmac
  • I've had some advice from a dermatologist which is to wear cotton gloves under plastic gloves for washing up and gardening. You can become allergic to the plastic because of the thinning of the layers of skin, cotton lining gloves prevents this !!  Still waiting for my Udderly smooth cream to arrive !!

• Mine aren't peeling....touch wood....but they are so smooth...like there's no fingerprints...and they are shrivelled...like I've been in the bath too long!!! And everything I touch feels soft and silky...when it's not!?!?? Does anyone else have this? And does it go away in time?

• Yes, that's what mine do, and get sore, but not usually peel. It seems to come and go, for some reason unknown!

• Just keep moisturising and use primrose oil and creams with some urea in which work better. Wear gloves for washg up !

• Thanks for advice. My fingertips are so smooth I can't use my phone normally! This is a pain but it's the little cuts that won't heal or do temporarily then break open again that's hard to keep on top of. I'm going to try Udderly or Aveenoo cream is quite good. 

Thanks

Liz

Megmac
  • Hi there Carog

I am on my 7th cycle of cape (of 8 in total) and I also experienced that (I did a post a while back). My hands, especially my right hand, was really painful, tingly and skin seemed stretched tight. Working in the kitchen, opening stuff etc was the worst! I had to pass things to my hubby or sons to open up for me , the milk carton etc... I have been using hydromol cream which has been working really well. On my hands and feet which also got very dry with discoloured toe nails! I was given antibiotics for toes which look awful and a bit of gunk was forming underneath the one toenail bed. Toes seem much better now. I stopped taking my usual brisk walks for a while to give my feet time to recover and I cycle a bit instead. For my hands, I just use normal cheap Tesco washing up gloves. I did sleep with soft cotton gloves on during my 2nd, 3rd and 4th cycles. I also tried to avoid too much hand sanitiser when out etc as that is the absolute worst, if hands are already dry!

It does take time to heal up, but they should do it you take care with them. Hopefully you will not get the discolouration in fingernails... I have this now, on one hand strangely, but its not that bad. Someone said I should paint my nails which I personally think is a terrible idea as there are about 100 hundred strong chemicals in nail polish!! So I am just leaving them to recover on their own now.

Hope you manage okay and remember, it is temporary. Take care, all the best to you. 

• Hi Davisio

Yes I had exactly that and mostly on my right hand, left hand seemed quite unaffected. Annoying when you are right handed! I felt like I could not pick up stuff, cutlery was the worst. I felt painful to pick up. I invested in gloves, I was wearing ones for sink duties and cotton ones, when doing anything else around the house,. They do help a lot! I am now on my 7th cycle of capecitebane and hands and feet are doing better. Around the 3rd cycle, I was given an extra week off as hands were very sore, but thankfully, they have recovered well. I use Hydromol cream constantly throughout the day, keeping them moisturised. It has worked really well for me, and much better than the cream my onc prescribed, which seemed to do nothing!

Take care, I am sure they will improve, it just takes a bit of time. 

• Dear Rose, Thanks for all your advice and reassurance. I am using several different moisturisers plus Vit B6. I still have my finger prints but have taken the precaution of putting back my passcodes on all my gadgets.

Yes, I'm finding every day tasks difficult to do now and finding wearing gloves enables me to open things !!

7 cycles of chemo, what a star !! I'm counting the days down to the end of cycle 4 !

It's annoying not to be able to walk far. I was doing sprint triathlons this time last year !!

Did you have any eye problems, my eyes are now feeling sore and dry ?

Anyway I hope my cancer hates the chemo more than me !!

Take care and good luck with your last cycle, Carog x

• Thanks for all the advice ....trouble with putting cream on hands....it's the washing of hands...as soon as I put cream on...I'm off to the toilet ( it's all that 2 litres of water!!) so then wash hands...put cream on....then it's washing fruit or veg or something...so on with the cream again...then its toilet time...wash hands ....the cream doesn't have time to work....only at night....

also..as with Carog...I have very sore dry eyes...I have theoloz eye drops...which help for a short time...but painful to open on waking in the morning....also had an itchy rash on my chest for weeks......

im wondering if it's ok to take vitamin B tablets? I was told initially not to take any vitamin tablets...as they interfere with the chemo.....but as I have been off chemo and radio for just over 2 weeks.....would it be ok to take Vit B....and perhaps Vit c ?

or would that interfere with waiting for tumour to shrink? I haven't had an op yet...and don't know when I will be notified of having a scan to see if the treatment has worked...and what will happen next.....very anxious about all this...

it seems like everything hurts...teeth...gums...tongue...nostrils....feet ...hands...eyes....aching bones ....everything except my but ( as my American granddaughter would call it ! ).....and thats what I would have expected to hurt...seeing as that's where the problem is !!!!!! Take care and good luck everyone :)