Online group or support for multi-metastasis friend?

• 5 replies
  • 85 subscribers

My friend was diagnosed with bowel cancer 6.5 years ago and at presentation had mets in liver & lung. Lots of treatment, a further lung tumour removed 4 years ago and a brain secondary 2 years ago. She knows she has had good treatment and has a good team, but the ongoing toll of scans, blood tests, results is never-ending. So stressful as none of the CTs, MRIs ever line up so her life is a constant merry-go-round of investigations and waiting. Her family (3 boys now in their twenties)have taken the burden of her disease in their stride and her husband is a saint. She has stayed off the internet and doesn’t feel a generic group like this could help her her. 

I noticed there was a Secondary Bowel Cancer Group, but this has not been active for 7 years. My friend recently asked her CNS if there was a local “buddy” who she could speak to, but she was told there is no-one like her locally.

Does anyone know of a support group for Secondary Bowel Cancer? Is there any other support she could seek from patients who are like her and living their lives waiting for the next scan and result in a never-ending cycle?

This friend helped me enormously when I went through treatment for Head & Neck cancer 3 years ago and I found a lot of support from the Macmillan community(Head & Neck group). I would love to be able to find some help for her. Any advice?

Hilary

• Hi . Gosh your friend has been through a lot hasn’t she? I’m sure having you in her corner has helped immensely especially when you’ve been through cancer treatment yourself. I’m sure @Court will be along shortly but here’s a couple of thoughts from me.

Theres a forum on here for people living with incurable cancer - I’ve attached a link below which shows all the various boards in case there’s any others that might be suitable

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences#pifragment-13088=3

There’s also a stage 4 forum on the bowel cancer uk board which tends to be busier than this Macmillan one and has a lot of stage 4 people living with cancer

https://community.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/

You could also ring the support nurses on here and see if they have any sort of buddy up scheme even if it’s by phone? Their number is 0808 808 00 00

Hope you are able to find something suitable

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi 

Welcome to the forum and what a special friend you are ! I can totally relate to the family you are describing as my mum has waded through 35 scans and it’s not for the faint hearted . Like your friend my mum likes to just press on and never really used any external support groups . 
    However there are specific support groups for stage four bowel cancer ! Bowel cancer U.K. has a specific section and an umbrella  group they manage and can link her into . 
    It might encourage her to know that there are people living with cancer over the long hall out there ! In fact there is some research currently being undertaken into their longevity!

My own mum has been twelve years since diagnoses and just been discharged! 
    In fact a lot of moderators on bowel cancer U.K. have been living with cancer for around 5/6 years or have a spouse enduring the same so she would definitely be able to draw strength and support from them . 

So good to have a concerned friend like yourself .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Good point  I keep forgetting about the buddy system ! 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Wow. Thanks so much Court & Kareno62. I have seen your swift and hugely supportive responses to other questions as I have searched for any similar patients/questions on the site. But I didn't expect such a quick & full response to this trickier issue of support for stage 4 and long-standing disease. I am very grateful. I will pass all of your advice on and see where we can get info & support.

You're doing a totally brilliant job. Love you all and will feed back in due course.

Hilary

• Hi Hilary,

If you're not able to find a buddy via Macmillan, there's an app called Nextdoor. It's for all kinds of things within your local area.  Big community spirit on there. You can search for specific groups in your area. Maybe you and your friend could set up your own support group. Then you just post that you've started a particular group and before you know it, you'll have other people joining.

Cheryl x