Bone cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Hello I have just joined this group. 

I only heard two days ago that my whole body nuclear bone scan showed a mass on my 8th rib and thickening on 7th rib.  I had an MRI scan a week later but do not know yet about that.  My GP said I should receive and appt to be seen with both results in two weeks. The nuclear scan also reported it was likely to be bony mets from a primary cancer elsewhere, such as lungs. Also stated highly suspicious for carcinoma .

I have had pain in my rib cage for 12 months and have been going to see GP all that time about it.  When I saw my cardiologist in July for a post stent check he said he htought it was probably costochodritis and referred me to a colleague of his in the Pain Relief Clinic as I had told him I cannot tolerate painkillers .  I did not receive an appt for 8 long months.  I continued to have daily rib cage pain , with drenching night sweating attacks as well, plus waking up each day feeling as if I was pregnant and had severe nausea (I am 72 without a womb so I dont think so!).  

When I saw the Pain Relief Clinic in March 2019 the Consultant said he did not think it was costochondritis or Tietze syndrome but probably musculoskeletal.  How wrong were they!  I cannot believe I have had to push for every single investigation and finally I am proved right suspecting a rib tumour.   I am praying it may be benign, but I really dont think I would have so much pain, and also as the 7th rib is also affected with thickening sign.   I am now waiting anxiously for my appt within two weeks , my GP assured me, if not sooner.    I was almost relieved to get answers from the whole body nuclear bone scan and now await MRI report and appt. I don't think anyone realised how painful this has been and spent a year trying to find out the cause!    Did anyone else have such a struggle to get diagnosed?    Thanks.  

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that a recent scan has picked up a mass which is being reported as likely to be secondary cancer. Having to wait for the results is very difficult and it doesn't help that your problems have been going on for a long time. 

I hope that whatever they find is benign but, if it isn't, you'll find plenty of support from this online community.

Wishing you all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi Can anybody tell me what is the normal length of stay in palliative care for prostate cancer patients?

Marshhornet 

• Hi and a warm welcome to the online community

I think that you are more likely to get a response to your question if you join the prostate cancer group and post your question there.

To join that group just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself, or ask a question, by selecting 'start a discussion'. 

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"