Undiagnosed newbie here

• 13 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hello, I have no diagnosis yet as have just been added to the 2 wk Urology pathway, hope I’m ok to be here.  My story so far.  Most of September has been taken up by blood and urine tests for a UTI I had no usual symptoms for.  

There was a mention of Myeloma but now seems unlikely according to GP.  

It was repeated invisible blood in dip tests that eventually got me here along with increasing aches in back and fatigue, the latter so hard to describe,  it feels very different to just feeling tired in my experience.   Over the counter pain killers of limited help.  Sleeping pills available if I wish. But feeling so ill and last night that I contemplated calling 111 but it’s now the weekend so figured I would just lay in A&E all night.  
 Apologies, I’m feeling frightened and a bit sorry for myself. 

• Hi Betty L,Welcome to our friendly group.I’m so sorry you are feeling ill.Now you are on the 2week pathway you are closer to finding out what is wrong.The next step would be a look in your bladder with a flexible camera if you have not had that already ? I hope the doctors can make you more comfortable while they are doing their investigations.There is lots of advice and support here so ask us any questions.We are all here to help.Jane x

• Thank you for answering.  No haven’t seen anyone other than gp yet.  The referral was only done on Thursday, I’ve to ring hospital if not heard back by Tuesday.   

• They will want to look in your bladder to see if they can find the cause of the bleeding.You can get bleeding for various reasons eg stones,infection,inflammation as well as cancer.Flexible cystoscopy is a quick procedure it only takes a few minutes.At some hospitals you don’t even have to put on a gown just remove clothes below the waist.It’s a thin flexible scope with a camera at one end.Usually there is a screen in the room so you can look at your bladder if you want.Do you have much support at home ? The people in this group are very welcoming so I hope you will find it helpful here.Jane x

• Hi Betty, sorry to hear you are feeling unwell right now. It is a very frightening time waiting for investigations and tests. We all understand how you are feeling, and will be here to help you through this while you wait for a diagnosis. I understand the fatigue , it really is different to just feeling tired isnt it. If you feel that it would help you calling 111 then i would do it. stay with the group betty, sending you a hug to hold on to .

Much love Angela x

• I have three adult children, two are relatively near me, I told them the situation yesterday rather than potentially blindsiding them.  Also my husbands who is unable to understand how pathetically feeble (my words) I currently feel, even going downstairs is an effort all of a sudden. 

• I do hope you get some answers soon.I agree with Angela,phone 111 if it would help.Don’t suffer in silence.Love Jane x

• Thank you, I just wondered what they could do at A&E tbh, extra pain relief I guess although it is more of an intensive ache really.    

• When I used to be there with my late mother they usually did blood tests first and possibly scans/x rays etc depending on blood results and what they suspected was wrong.My mother often got scans of her head as she had a lot of strokes following a brain haemorrhage.Jane x

• They are usually quick to give pain relief.It does depend a bit on the hospital,some are better than others.
    I was sent straight to A & E from a gp appointment with breathlessness.A & E was packed but I got all the bloods,x ray and medication within 5 hours.

• I’m finding it really odd at the moment.  Currently the ache is ok, the fatigue is the worst thing today with legs a bit like jelly and limiting the time I can stand which is about the time it takes to make a sandwich.  
    Does this make any sense as it doesn’t to me.