BCG Treatment for Bladder Cancer

• 2 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Hi I was diagnosed with superficial Bladder Cancer in October 23 I have since had 2 Turbt procedures and one chemotherapy I have started my 6 week BCG treatment plant and I am half way through

I am finding the side effects are taking 3 days to get over I had to cancel my treatment this week because I have a common cold which bedded me for 2 days I understand that my immune systems are compromised and must expect this but has anyone got any diatry advice to help my immune system 

Thanks xx

• Hi  and welcome to the group. I have not had BCG but many here have and are aware of the varying effects. As regards diet, I have always been advised to keep to a balanced diet, preferably Mediterranean with plenty of colour. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• I am on BCG and soon to start the second maintenance does (number 10).

For me, side effects have been generally minimal, but we are all different in how we respond to treatments. If it helps, my journey with BCG briefly is:

1-4 Slight fever for up to 12 hours

5 - knocked me back for ~5 days with sweats and chills

6 - no side effects

7 - noticed clear like jelly when going to the loo for a day, but otherwise no side effects. Was advised that the jelly was the epithelium sloughing off

8 - 9 no side effects

RE diet, I cut out caffeine and fizzy drinks for a couple of weeks, but otherwise have a normal diet for me. Drink lots of Robinsons Lemon Barley water for a couple of weeks after.

Hope this helps