BC diagnosis - awaiting TURBT

• 3 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Whilst having a stomach operation on 10/01/24, a tumour was found in my bladder.  Awaiting TURBT, have date of 03/04/24, and been advised one dose of chemotherapy will be administered.  Any advice on what to expect following this procedure?.  Post op from my earlier procedure I had to have a catheter for 43 days, is this likely following a TURBT? Thank you.  53 year old female Woman 

• Hi  and welcome to the group although sorry to hear you have bladder cancer, but be aware it can be treated successfully. A TURBT procedure is fairly straightforward. Usually done in day surgery, but prepare for an overnight. You will wake up with a catheter but in most cases it is removed before you go home. The chemo wash (Mitomycin) is to help mop up any rogue cells floating around. You just need to take things easy for the first few days and nothing strenuous for a couple of weeks. In the meantime, make sure you are drinking plenty of water to keep things flushed out. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thank you very much, it’s all been a bit of a shock.  Thought I would be recovering from my other operation but that seems to have been taken over with this diagnosis. 

• Hi Owen376

As rily said most people have the catheter removed after a few hours or in the morning if you stay overnight but some people go home with one for a few days or a week

Bring an overnight bag just in case and a long charging cable

I bought snacks and a water bottle which the nurses kept filled, so I could drink loads without having to use the little cups

Much love Tina x