Newly diagnosed

• 6 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Hi I’ve just joined as I have been recovering from a bladder tumour removal with a diagnosis of high grade cells but not muscle invasive. Very anxious about the future and have convinced myself this cancer will return. Im waiting to start bcg treatments. Would welcome any advice or information anyone has as I feel very anxious at the moment. Im a 56 year old woman and have been told it’s unusual for a woman of my age to be diagnosed with bladder cancer.

• Hi  and welcome to the group. Firstly be aware that bc can be treated successfully. Secondly it is not unusual for someone of your age to be diagnosed with bc. It is more common than GPs know. We have many younger ladies here. Initial BCG treatment is designed to mop up any rogue cells and help prevent recurrences. BCG treatment affects different people in different ways. Some sail through it. Others have some discomfort. I wish you well with it. You will get lots of support here going forward. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Hi Mjh09,Welcome to this friendly and supportive group.Best wishes for your bcg treatment.Love Jane

• I was the same - diagnosed with high grade superficial, aged 56. BC used to be regarded as an old man's disease, but plenty of females of all ages & younger people are diagnosed.

BC is highly recurrent, the problem is that it tends to progress too. The BCG is intended to delay/deter that & in a few cases will cure. Regular checks are needed, probably for the rest of your life. There are plenty of treatment options should BCG prove ineffective, so take heart that it has been diagnosed & is being addressed. I opted to have bladder removal surgery straight away instead of BCG & happily here nearly 12 years later.

• Thank you for replying. Lots to think about. Talking to people who have been through it really does help

1. Talking to people who have been through it really does help. Thank you 
  • Hi

I have just had my results today and they are recommending the same, although they are going to bring me in for another TURBT just to be 100%.  I too am very anxious about the future and what this cancer is doing. My imagination has run riot tbh. Today, I just dont know what to think, especially about having the redo turbt. I didnt know that was a thing.  Good luck with your BCG , hopefully we can keep in touch Angela 

Much love Angela x