Hi I am new here .this is my story

• 8 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Late in February I was diagnosed with blood in my urine CT scan and a Flexible cystoctomy  later I was informed I had bladder cancer .on the 5th of March I was admitted for a TURBT 10 days later I was recalled to the hospital to be told that the cancer had invaded the bladder muscle and I had two options Chemo followed by radiation or surgery which was a full cystectomy Bladder Prostate Lymph glands and seminal gland and form a stoma with part of my bowel .As you can imagine I was reeling ,but as I have always believed that if it does not belong in my body then cut it out . Full body CT scan and a bone scan clear . Went in for surgery on tthe 26 may 7 days in hospital Then returned home Slow recovery but now at 7 weeks feeling good .I am awaiting the results of my biopsy  but feeling confident . I would like to thank the NHS and all the staff from consultants to nurses and everyone else for there prompt treatment  of this cancer THANK YOU 

• Hi and welcome to the group. Your story will be familiar to many of us. Good to know you are recovering well. Hopefully you will get lots of support here and also maybe use your own experience to help others. Best wishes going forward.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Hi Tomas,Welcome to this friendly group,I hope you will find it helpful.It’s good to hear you are recovering well from the operation.Best wishes Jane

• I had my RC five years ago and by and large things have been fine. Welcome to the group and don't be slow in coming forward everyone is very helpful and supportive.

It doesn't matter where you go, there you are
  • Good for you! I have just had TURBT and told , like you, that the cancer had gone through the bladder wall and into the pelvis - but don't know full extent yet. Only option seems to be maybe antibodies. My hospital is Addenbrookes in Cambridge where it is part of a huge biomedical campus and they always have all kinds of trials going on -- so maybe I will be lucky!

• Hi Jenea, according to this forum people older than you have had radical cystectomy successfully but your medical team obviously know your particular case.

You mentioning Addenbrookes brings back memories of trekking there from Bedfordshire taking our daughter to various clinics. None have asked to see her since Covid. We had a favourite layby with a stunning view, for sandwiches on the way home.

Best wishes, 

Denby

• Addenbrookes is a great hospital - mostly. I have actually lived in it for long periods of time with my disabled daughter, sat with father and father in law as they died there and had several ops myself. Covid has messed so much up. My daughter SHOULD have an eye exam under anaesthetic once  every  year but she has not had it for 4 years - the eye unit was closed for most of the time. I was a lucky one, an eye op I was scheduled for was done at a private hospital, paid for by NHS.