Toxic Positivity Have You Been Effected?

• 17 replies
  • 49 subscribers

I got a whatapp today from my wife’s cousin saying “I hope you are now better”. It stuck me as odd, as I have just really started treatment. Has anyone else had such comments like this or “I know you will smash it” etc. And how do you deal with it I wonder?

• I am so sorry to hear you had a stroke Sarah, goodness me you have been through it. Yes being poked and prodded must feel never ending. My lovely mum taught me so much about getting through hard times, her mantra was “ this too shall pass “ which I find myself repeating regularly. I hope your tests are ok. 
    The break to Scotland will be lovely, some wonderful scenery up there.

Take care and much love to you Angela x

Much love Angela x

• Afternoon Everyone 

there is a fine line between good comments and comments that could be tongue in cheek my sister in laws have said you’ve got this and you can beat this but they are both extremely lovely women and not a bad bone in their body they treat me like their brother and I treat them like sisters and love them very much I do feel the comment needs to assessed from the individual who is speaking and judged at that moment if that person can be classed as a difficult to work out person at  the best of times then I would for sure class it as toxic positivity sometimes people just don’t know what to say 

• That’s a great mantra Angela and a very useful reminder that things indeed will pass! Fingers crossed my results are improving-I go back to the stroke consultant at the beginning of May. Hoping he tells my I can go on holiday then!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks for the reminder about the blogs, !

Just in case anyone missed them, here are the links to the blogs our very own  wrote on 'Toxic Positivity':

All the best,
    Matthew
    Macmillan Online Community Team

• Hello, I'm Eliza from the Community team. Here's the links to the Toxic Positivity blogs on Community News, which  mentioned!

When good intentions hurt: Exploring Toxic positivity and conversations about cancer

Toxic Positivity - Part Two

If anyone needs any help or support from the Community team, please remember you can contact us over email to community@macmillan.org.uk.

Eliza
    Macmillan Community Team

• La test  is relatives not getting in contact for weeks on end “so as not to disturb me”. Nice. As far as they are concerned I am invisible. It’s a whole new world.

• ... and such a tricky one. Someone I know with Stage 3 cancer facing rough chemo and surgery for a body part perhaps less easy to manage without than those here who've lost their bladders seem to find that, set up a group to 'support them' as they have few family etc. I posted a genuine answer to what [afterwards] apparently was a sarcastic comment, offered some genuine advice from a medical professional in my family on a side effect concern that was expressed. Then got massive blame because some others had apparently taken my comments completely the wrong way and left the group, leaving the person with cancer blaming me in a rather wounding way for others leaving the group, therefore not having support. 

I am now once bitten, twice shy, if anyone invites me onto a group like that again... sigh.

Leo1, I hope your relatives get real and learn to stay in touch. At least to us, however safely anonymous, you are not invisible, sending virtual hugs, 

Denby