Catheter blocking?

• 24 replies
  • 43 subscribers

I recently joined this forum for moral support and have found it has helped me and others a lot. While I recognise that our treatments for bladder cancer will vary considerably depending on each case history, my personal experience may give some comfort to fellow sufferers and be less alarming than just studying straight statistics. I had for many years had kidney stones. They became troublesome from around 2010 onwards, giving pain and blood in my pee once or twice a year. Ultrasound confirmed that I had stones, as did the sound of a ping in the WC when one passed. I lived with the problem until the blood in pee became a concern in July 2017, prompting me to see my GP. I tended not to rush into the medical environment very willingly because I had a fairly extreme medical phobia (white coat syndrome). My GP wondered whether my kidney stone symptoms were masking something else e.g. bladder cancer, and tests were organised. Ultrasound, flexible cystoscopy and CT scan(s) were thus on the agenda. I sought help with my building level of terror caused by 'tests,' needles and possible cancer. The NHS quickly found a place for me in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy sessions. These did not immediately cure my phobia but were an immense help in gradually dismantling my fear and gave me hope that I might at least be able to act like a normal patient some of the time and avoid fainting whenever a needle came near me. By this time I was frequently getting my waterworks blocked with blood clots for several hours. The 'tests' were endured a month or so after the visit to my GP. Ultrasound: No big deal. Flexible cystoscopy: I was grateful that nurses held my hands! A small lesion in my bladder was found. CT scans provided further details and a TURBT was scheduled, plus a blood transfusion or two to replace my leakage. The support I received from Macmillan nurses, other NHS medics and my family was superb as I began this daunting phase of my life in my late 60s. Pre-TURBT assessment caused me to be diverted into radiotherapy instead, at least until a non-related health issue was further investigated. Roll forward a few months and my symptoms (bleeding) which had been suppressed by radiotherapy returned with a vengeance. More transfusions followed, then an ambulance ride because my works blocked. Things were beginning to look extremely grim. I felt so ill that I gave up hope. I was placed in a side ward and my son and daughter were told I might only last a few days, maybe a month. A chaplain visited...   An emergency TURBT was performed. I very slowly began to respond i.e. the bleeding greatly reduced. I was discharged from hospital after nearly 4 weeks. A few months later the bleeding started again and became excessive, requiring further transfusions and ultimately another TURBT. Recovery this time was better. A sepsis admission in that eventful year completed the drama.  Since then, much to my surprise, I'm still here, living more or less normally albeit with a urethral catheter which is tending to block before the 12 weeks normal replacement cycle. Catheter replacement has always been quite painful for me and is often followed by varying degrees of blood in pee which lasts for an hour or so. Yesterday's blockage, catheter replacement and mild rosé earlier this evening is no exception. BUT I'm still here and will I suppose have to begin stamp licking for yet another Christmas. Incidentally, one of my coping mechanisms is to keep a diary of my symptoms of the bladder cancer. When they reappear, the fact that similar symptoms have come and gone over the last 5 years without much drama actually helps me to put them in perspective and reduce the mental stress.   Essay over. It has helped me. Thank you. This evening's rosé seems to have stopped whilst writing this as well! Merry Christmas everyone and good luck!      

• The catheter lasted until 7th March i.e. 6 weeks and 3 days. This has become somewhat routine now. The old one was quite painful to remove and was apparently one size up on my usual 16CH. Initially the nurse tried to fit a silicon catheter rather than my usual grey latex type. The silicon ones are very flexible, not too clever for the insertion procedure. It would not go past my prostate. That one went in the bin and a grey one was obtained. Even that one resisted insertion for 20 minutes until I told the male nurse to stop being so gentle. The anaesthetic gel effectively numbs pain. Extra force got the thing in and it's been ok so far with only a very mild showing of rosé a couple of days ago which caused my mood to dip for an hour or so. I should be used to these capers after nearly 7 years since diagnosis. Full marks to the NHS for propping me up so far!  

• Fingers crossed it doesn’t cause too much discomfort.Best wishes Jane 

• Well, the 7th March catheter did not last long before blocking. It had been ok until yesterday although the previous routine citric acid flush last Thursday did require considerable pressure, so I was not too surprised by this morning's blockage which I could not shift. A visit to my local hospital had me sorted out with a new catheter within 45 minutes of me driving over there. Even parking was easy for a change. My prostate did not fight today's procedure at all. I'm due for a general review by my GP and will discuss whether a stronger prescription flush solution may be in order and maybe further tests to see what is going on in my bladder despite the palliative nature of my care. I continue to be impressed by the service I receive from my hospital.

• As my last catheter had blocked and needed replacing after only two weeks and three days, I decided to carry out my first routine twice weekly 3.23% citric acid flush on the new catheter after 5 days rather than waiting 7 days. Inevitably, although the flushing was straightforward, I have had a showing of rosé pee this afternoon, and two smallish clots passed down the tube to the catheter bag. I expect the trauma of catheter replacement needs a bit longer than 5 days to settle down. I am drinking extra water as is usual for these circumstances. Hopefully I'll feel a bit more cheerful later. 

• Hi RayMK,Sorry you are still having problems.I hope the flush helped and your bladder settles.Best wishes Jane 

• I seem to be going through a phase of momentary rosé pee which started after the flush 8 days ago.  I was ok on 5th April but every other including today it has been noticeable, usually when getting up from my armchair to walk to the kitchen or just emptying my bag in the cloakroom. Yesterday I also had a dull ache from the kidney area but no significant temperature or other signs of an infection. However, it is causing me some concern so tomorrow I'll try to speak to a doctor or get an appointment as soon as possible. 

• Hi RayMK,I hope you will be able to see or speak to a dr soon.Let us know how you get on.Best wishes Jane x

• I did not expect to be able to see a doctor until next week. I drove to my local Medical Centre at 9am today and described my symptoms to the receptionist who took notes. I was told a doctor would phone back sometime today but instead it was the receptionist who called back at 9-45am,  asking me to come back at 11-15am today, when a doctor would see me. So, the doctor has been consulted and antibiotics prescribed as an infection was suspected. I have had about 4 urinary tract infections since 2018. I think it's an inherent risk with long term catheter use. I feel relieved that I've done something about it rather than quietly enduring the recent problems in the hope that they will ease. With the much reduced mental stress I can now re-focus on day to day life.....and enjoy the pouring rain and fence flattening gales.  

• I’m glad you have got some treatment.I hope you see an improvement soon.The wind is very strong here in Somerset,my rose arch is down again.Best wishes Jane x

• Well done for being proactive. Sometimes we feel so rotten we just sit and put up with a wait, but you had a feeling it was an infection and it's always better to get them treated sooner rather than later. Hope the antibiotics kick in quick and you can get on with fighting the elements like the rest of us. Battering winds up here on Exmoor, and maybe a few raindrops....again! Sending love Hx