Progression

• 3 replies
  • 42 subscribers

All of this waiting for my biopsy appointment for the red patch in my bladder has me obsessing over a few more questions. On cystoscopy it showed a flat red mark on my bladder. If it was infact BC and it was the in situ type, how long does it take to get through to the muscle layer up to all the layers of the bladder? Does it take days, months, years? Because 12 months ago it was just light inflamation but it took a long time for the second cystoscopy. I can't find an answer anywhere. I'm 43 years old and I'm reading that bladder cancer at my age is rare. I'm also noticing that I've only read on here of other people's bladder cancer looking like a mushroom. Mine looks like a flat red injury. 

• Hi . Unfortunately there is a lot of waiting in our world which is something that always causes anxiety, but par for the course. Bladder cancer comes in various forms. The two most common are TCC and CIS. TCC (transitional cell carcinoma) is the tumour  type which stands out from the bladder. CIS (carcinoma in situ)  is more like a rash which spreads over the bladder lining. It takes a long time, sometimes years to progress. We know from being on here, it is not uncommon for someone of your age to have bc. Once you have your procedure done and get the results, whatever it is, you tend to have a different approach to things as you know what you are dealing with and have something positive to focus on. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Lots of people have flat red patches. They can be caused by all sorts of things, not least once a person has had any kind of treatment for bc, simply irritation caused by the very treatment. But the docs always treat them with due caution and get biopsies, because visually they cannot be told apart from actual cancer.

My husband had some of the flat CIS as well as the mushroom kind. He's also had some of the post-treatment red patches that were not cancer recurrences.

While everyone is different, he is fine now.

Hope that helps.

Denby