Power of Attorney

• 31 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hello

I have had a simple will done by a local solicitor. He also suggested that I consider a Power of Attorney.

Has anyone had this done?

• When I did my Will, I too was advised about the PoA. One for Finance and one for Health and Well-being.  I got them both drawn up for my Mum and at the same time got them drawn up for me. I did this several years ago now, but you never know when they might come in handy and at the time you do need them, it saves you the stress - and time to get them sorted. Far better too to get them done when everyone involved is in sound mind and body, I think it gets complicated otherwise. 
    Best wishes Linda

• Thanks for your reply. I've had a POA quote of £321. I assume it includes fees. Is this reasonable?

• Hi Coojee,

I had mine done so long ago now, I can’t really remember. However I do remember Martin Lewis saying something about people being overcharged for them and they could claim a refund. It might be worth going on his moneysavingexpert website as I’m sure he’ll have a section on those. 
    hope that helps a bit,

best wishes, Linda

• Thank you. Moneysavingexpert suggested an average fee of £500, so £321 doesn't seem too bad. I will check if it includes fees.

• I know it's been a very long time but, thanks for sharing your experience!

• Planning ahead with powers of attorney is crucial. I remember when my family went through a tough time with my grandma's health. Having those documents in place beforehand made everything so much smoother. It's like a safety net when you least expect it. And hey, if you need more advice on legal matters, I found some helpful insights at https://federal-lawyer.com/whistleblower-lawyers/sec/. Always better to be prepared.

• It’s a very good idea to have both health and welfare and financial POAs done. You can do them yourself online. It’s quite fiddly. Important: it can take up to six months or longer to get these in place as the process is very very slow and inefficient. I think mine took 9 months. You need to get all the parties to sign the documents in the right order otherwise they will be rejected.

• Well before my mother got dementia she looked after a relatives affairs under the court of protection.This was fine until my mother fell into a coma with a brain haemorrhage.My sister and I had no authority to sign cheques to pay for my relatives care home fees.It’s worth making sure there is some plan in place should something happen to the person in charge.It was a nightmare for us as we didn’t know whether mum would survive and we had the additional stress of the court of protection.I was too late to get power of attorney for mum.It all worked out but it would have been much easier to have had POA.My partner’s mum has just arranged hers.Jane 

• Yes if you / they are alive and of sound mind, get a POA, and a will. You can lodge your / their will with the HM Courts and Tribunals Service probate division quite clearly, once it is made.

• I've had a look at the forms online, and there is a guide for filling them in. I printed the forms out some time ago but we haven't yet got round to completing them. Recently I was witness signatory for friends of mine, all looked pretty straightforward to do without a solicitor.