Cis cancer and crohns injections

• 5 replies
  • 60 subscribers

I was diagnosed in June with early stage aggressive cis cancer .I informed them i inject fortnightly with Idacio for Chrohns disease .This only became an issue 2 days before my Bcg treatment as they said my reduced immunity would be an issue . I had tol them this three weeks earlier .

There is still ongoing discussions has anyone encountered this before . Thanks

• Hi  and welcome to the group, although sorry to hear of your dilemma with your injections. I have done a search in the group and cannot find anything similar recorded here. Hopefully someone with experience of this will be along to help. I hope your doctors come up with a solution. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Hi Jackmyboy,

sorry to read about your diagnose’s. I have Crohns, just recently been diagnosed with T2 muscle invasive bc. Not sure what i will post will help you, but it may, The initial plan for me was to have pre operative chemo, to shrink whats left of the tumour after a TURB-T Procedure, then have my bladder removed by a Radical Cystectomy. 
    I have an Infliximab infusion ( Biomeds) for the Crohn’s, it gives and has given me a lot of Quality Of Life back since having it.

i recently had a chemo review with my Oncologist Team. They informed me a few days ago that i was not suitable for chemo, they felt the biologic treatment for the Crohns plus the possible after effects from the chemo, could cause a massive flare up which in turn could make me unfit for surgery.

I was not offered, or have not been offered BCG treatments yet. For me, keeping the Crohn’s manageable is pretty much the priority so i’m able to be fit enough for Surgery.

Hope this is informative for you

Kindest Regards

RICHTEE

• RICHTEE thanks so much for your reply sorry you are going through this .There have been developments and there seems a common trend that is worrying patients who have Crohns and have to inject in my case Adalamumab (idacio)

My team of oncology nurses tol me and my Ibd team there is no alternative treatment to BCG except for bladder removal I have cis non invasive but having googled i realised that being immuno comprimised i would end potentially with TB and have my cancer and Crohns treatment stopped. I sought a second opinion from a urologist i have known for years and was advised to use Gemcytabine maybe combined with Doxetaxel as an alternative for BCG .
    I will be seeing a Professor of oncology for this treatment.Richtee i urge you to challenge being given BCG whilst it is the best option for aggressive cancer that i have it will likely give me TB and you i believe

There seems a general ignorance of Crohns/Bladder cancer patients.Anyone who injects for Crohns or had immune system issues and has BCG is asking for trouble from what I now know 

I would like to talk to you Richtee if possible 

All the best

• Richtee i have been thinking I am going to see the oncologist but despite the treatment enabling me to still inject my Crohns team have advised i hold off my injections

The injections stay in your system for one year please talk to your cancer team and see what they say but Bcg and injections are a bad match 

• Hope i have not misled you,.. my carcinoma is a highgrade g3 muscle invasive t2, the gold standard is bladder removal. As i had around 6 to 7 inches of ileum removed when i had my first right hemicolectomy, the urinary diversion will struggle to utilise my bowel or a portion of it, to form neo-bladder, ileum conduit that type of thing. There are other options, gastric conduit when a portion of my stomach is used as oppose to my bowel. 

My oncologist, did not and does not to stop the surgery, im currently mid flare-up with the crohns,.. BCG im told , would not be an option currently, it is the current gold standard for non-muslcle invasive bc. I had a BCG injection when i was a teenager ( many years ago), this was for immunity , or help with it, for TB.

My Urologist team, suggested pre operative chemo followed by a Radical Cystectomy, the bladder along with some additional pelvic area organs, nodes and glands are removed. The only real issues and concerns i am having, is more about QoL, the infusion i have every 8 weeks, has improved my Quality of Life a lot with the crohn’s. For sure the additional after effects of chemo they were indicating they would have used, would have caused a serve flare-up.the infusion would have had to been stopped, prior to chemo starting as well.

Rtee