New Update

• 10 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hi All, I've not been posting much recently as life in general was getting in the way. I had my 2nd Turbt on 10th April ended up in hospital following Monday with Urosepsis,anyway lots of antibiotics sorted that problem.  Today had meet with consultant to be told Instead of BCG that they had said i was to have I was told I was being referred for Chemo and Radiotherapy have a meeting on 29th May to hopefully get treatment  plan. I'm having a wee panic re chemo I've heard all kind of horror stories during these Infusions, I know the end result means the cancer is killed off I'm just looking for advice or a soothing word to help me on this part of my journey, I am also getting Radiotherapy of which I have no idea whatsoever.

Many Thanks In Advance

Scott

•  . Hi Scott. It's always the fear of the unknown that gets to you, but once you start on the treatment path you will go with the flow and have something positive to focus on. The drugs used for BC are not usually as bad as for some other cancers. Usually Gem/Cis (Gemcitabine and Cisplatin) or similar. You generally only hear about people who have a hard time with chemo but you rarely hear from the people who have little or no problems.

I had this treatment and didn't have any side effects to talk about. I had 6 weeks of chemo. Long day first week followed by short day the following week and then repeated. A few weeks break and then on to six weeks of daily radiotherapy. Treatment is painless and takes about 15 minutes. The daily trips to hospital can be tiring. Although I had 6 weeks of radio, I believe the latest protocol is 4 weeks with a stronger dose. Happy to try and answer any questions. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Hi Scott,I’m sorry to hear you had urosepsis.Best wishes for your treatment.Jane x

• Thank you as you say its the unknown, I suffer from mental health problems as well so as you can imagine I was freaking out in my head but your words were excellent and genuinely helped settle me also my brother and one of my friends who is going through chemo at moment also were a great help. Again thank you and I will keep your words with me during the next part of this journey.

Thank You 

Scott

• Yes Urosepsis is something else, never felt so weak as I did during that time I can only thank my GP (which i did I feel they dont get enough praise for what they do) for her insistence I went into hospital was hardly in and I was plugged into antibiotics, honestly hope I never have to go through that again.

Thanks

Scott

• Hi Scott,It must have been a horrible experience and I hope you are fully recovered now.I’m glad you have a good gp.It’s so important especially if you suffer with your mental health.It does get easier mentally once you have a treatment plan and start treatment.Let us know how you get on.Jane x

• Thanks Jane Will do

Cheers

Scott 

• Hello Scottvip, I had same treatment as Rily: Chemotherapy followed by six weeks of daily radiotherapy. No side effects from the chemotherapy or radiotherapy. I hope you have similar. Good luck Garviv

• Hi,

I had chemo prior to having my RC. I must admit that it wasn't as bad as the "horror stories" that circulate. I suffered from fatigue, but didn't realise it at the time. The sessions can be quite long depending on the drugs being used and usually took up a day. I didn't get any sickness, although I did feel a bit naucious without vomiting, but you are given medication to help.

Your medical team will explain all the issues and possible side effects, but don't be afraid to ask questions. I would also add, that it is not uncommon for treatment to be temporarily suspended if the side effects are severe, so that you get a break. Please don't panic, it's common and you will not be abandoned.

I found my personal treatment by the team to be great and I didn't want for anything. In short, it wasn't as daunting as some of the urban myths suggest.

It doesn't matter where you go, there you are