Bladder Cancer, chemo side effects

• 6 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hi I am new to this forum and have joined as I have just completed my first cycle of chemo. (Big one, small one, week off) I am now in my week off stage. Im on GemCsh I had a very strange but extreme side effect last night, that Ive never felt before. It felt like flue aches through my body. It was so bad it felt like it was in my bones. the lower back was the worse. My body felt like it was pulsing. Not sure if I had a panic attack as no one was answering the out of hors number so I called an ambulance. My temperature was 37.8  It seems that once I took paracetamol the pain was manageable and even subsided. Without paracetamol the same side effects return. Is this a common side effect? This is my first experience of chemo so I have nothing to compare it too. Thank you in advance.

• Hi Tracy and welcome to the group. I had no effects from Gem/Cis but we know people do have varying side effects and with any concerns you need to notify your team. There should be a contact number on the inside of our chemo record book to call. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thank you for your reply. I was struggling to get through yesterday but they did get me the answer I was looking for.

It seems the white blood cell injection, cause excruciating pain in the bones, which is what I experienced. Thankfully paracetamol helps alot. 

I hope this helps anyone else who goes through this. its apart of building the immunity snd thst all happens in the bones. 

Thank you once again

• Hi Tracy, 

Glad you are feeling better now, I had three cycles of Gem/cis I did suffer with nausea and a metallic taste but apart from that all good. Hope it continues to go well for you

Annie

• Thank you so much for the feedback, I'm experiencing similar. 4 more to go. 

I hope your in recovery now Ann, 

Many thanks 

Tracy 

• Hi Tracy, 

Sorry you are experiencing similar, for the metallic taste my oncologist recommended pineapple, you can buy frozen chunks which really did help me, and because of the nausea I did lose weight, but I found ensure drinks also helped me for build up purposes. Did you know you can add your story to your profile? 
    I am doing well thank you.

• Hi from France Tracy,

When my husband received this chemo (july 2022) he had metallic taste and did not eat anything else as ham, rice and yogurts.The oncologist recommanded not to eat food that he usually liked, because after he will not enjoy it anymore. Same advice for our delicious burgundy wines.

You have to drink as much as possible to avoid renal problems, especially waters containing high amount of bicarbonates which bring protection for kidneys.

Best wishes

Catherine