RC Worries

• 5 replies
  • 53 subscribers

May have to go the RC route. I keep reading about having to catherize yourself at home. This is scary to me as a male. Does it hurt as bad when they do it now ? Is it hard ? Do you have to do it a lor?

• Hi Kgel and a warm welcome to the forum though sorry you have to be here. I am male and  used intermittent catheters for a few weeks with barely a problem, i remember the first couple of times getting a little anxious and it felt a little weird  and slightly uncomfortable but not painful. but soon it became a simple routine. A couple of tips, i found it easier to insert the catheter standing up but you may find it easier sitting and if while inserting it feels a little stuck, "only happened to me once", a good cough will relax you enough to get the catheter in, Make sure everything is clean before you start and when you are finished and try to fully empty your bladder. take care.

Eddie

• Hi  

I am a woman so hope you don’t mind me popping in. I presume when you say RC you mean radical cystectomy and having your bladder removed? If this is the case and you have a urostomy formed in place of a bladder then you don’t require to use a catheter at all, ever.  If you have a neobladder in place of your bladder the situation is different, but hopefully those who have had this done will be along to chat about this. I can only speak about having a urostomy after bladder removal as that’s what I have.

This is a group filled with lots of friendly advice from people who can help support you, and I hope you’ll find it helpful. When will you find out if you need surgery?

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Kgel, sorry to hear that you’re in this club, but know there is a great life to be had after RC. I had mine 6 years ago with neobladder and have had no issues. I have never self cathed nor have I ever had an infection . If you are an active guy and like to do young guy things I’m positive the neo is the way to go. Orillia.

• Self cathing is usually smaller caths than when you have one after TURBT or for other reasons. If you have RC, usually prostate is also removed, which I believe makes self cathing easier.

I'm female with neo & had to learn to do it - a bit odd at first but soon simple. I have to do it every void to fully empty - this happens more for females than males. Some hosp never ask neo patients to self cath, some require learning the technique but it may not ever be needed, or only occasionally. Best wishes.

• Teasswill, is correct. My surgeon never even mentioned self cathing . I didn’t know what it was until I came on this site.