TURBT - ANESTHESIA OPTION

• 7 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hello everyone... hoping for a bit of guidance if possible. My father has recently found out he has unusual growths in his bladder - doctor has recommended a TURBT procedure under general anesthesia. My father has other medical problems and is not too keen on having a general anesthesia. Does anyone know if it is possible to have a TURBT with an epidural of some sort. There appears some reference to this on the internet but not sure if this is a viable option in the UK. Thanks for your help and best wishes. Michael

• Hi Michael

I had a TURBT earlier on this year and was offered the choice of a general or spinal anesthetic. I went for the spinal (which I'd never had before) and glad I did. Worth asking whether the particular hospital offers this and whether it's suitable for your father I would say.

Regards

Mike

• Thanks very much for your response Mike, glad to see there is a potential option. Do you mind if I ask if the spinal anesthetic considered to be a more or less complicated procedure compared to a general anesthetic - was the recovery ok. Many thanks Michael

• I was told that the spinal causes less stress to the body. The only thing I was worried about was that they have to be careful that the injection is in the right place but I seemed to have an excellent consultant anesthetist. who administered this. It's a strange feeling has you can't feel or move your lower half. 

Afterwards the recovery was better than a general as just had the numbness in my legs so until that wore off I felt good. Starting feeling some discomfort after that but better than the general I would say. 

The other strange feeling is being awake whilst they are operating. They put something up between you and the surgeon so you can't see what they are doing and obviously can't feel anything. They offered me a sedative as well which I took. I wish I hadn't, as afterwards because of the sedative they want you to mask an oxygen mask for quite a while. 

The only other thing I would say about the TURBT is, as you'll read on other threads, drinking lots of water afterwards is important. I retained blood clots and about 10 days after the op had to go to A&E and get sorted out. Drinking lots will help to avoid this problem (although I thought I was drinking a lot). 

Regards

Mike

• THATS REALLY HELPFUL MIKE - THE INFO IS MOST USEFUL FEEL A BIT MORE CONFIDENT TALKING TO MY DAD AND THE NHS STAFF. TAKE CARE.

• Hi MCJ,Welcome to the group.Hopefully your father will get a chance to talk with the anaesthetist before the TURBT.At my hospital you met the anaesthetist at the pre op assessment and on the day of the surgery.They can offer a spinal anaesthetic if it’s thought feasible.There is plenty of advice and support on here.Best wishes Jane 

• THANKS JANE, IT'S REALLY ENCOURAGING TO SEE THE SUPPORT THAT EVERYONE GIVES EACH OTHER - MY DAD IS AGED 78 AND I WILL SIT HIM DOWN WITH A CUP OF TEA AND SHOW HIM THE ABOVE COMMENTS AND OTHER THREADS ON THIS BLOG - BEST WISHES EVERYONE,

• Hi MCJ,There is usually someone here who can help or advise.Let us know how your dad gets on.Best wishes Jane