How will I feel after TURBT

• 2 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi.

I will be having a small procedure which I believe is TURBT.

The Dr said the effected area is only small, they will remove the effected area then do the biopsy. The area is flat too so looks like it would be early stages if it turned out to be cancer. 

Has anyone had this procedure done before on a small area, if so, how did you feel after and how long did it take for your bladder to feel normal again and back to normal activities. 

I have 2 boys, 3 and 5, so as you can imagine everyday for me is full on. 

Thankyou in advance guys.

Rachel

• Hi Rachel. A TURBT procedure (trans urethral resection of bladder tumour) is fairly straightforward op. It sounds worse than it is. If you go down early, you should be home the same day. Afternoon ones tend to be kept in, so prepare for an overnight just in case. In most cases, people feel fine in a day or two, but the most common after effect is a stinging sensation when peeing, but this should ease in a few days. Occasionally, some people feel a bit sick for a while because of the anaesthetic. You may feel fine after a few days, but no heavy lifting or anything strenuous for at least 2 weeks in order not to aggravate the wound. Otherwise you should be able to carry on as normal. It is important to drink lots of water to flush any debris out and help prevent infection. A few weeks wait then for results. I have had this done 3 times with no real problems. I hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• I would just add that urination may be frequent at first, with cramping afterwards, but this will gradually ease. My bladder did stay a bit irritable, meaning i had to get up at night which i didn't before - although the need was possibly also because I was drinking more! The anaesthetic made me feel a bit woozy for around 10 days, but everyone is different, some shrug it off very easily. Hope all goes well.