Bile Duct Cancer..

• 8 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi.  I was diagnosed in March and underwent open surgery.  Due to the rarity of this cancer, I do not know anyone who has been through the same so unable to talk to anyone.  I do have amazing friends, whom I am so blessed to have.  However, as I mentioned, I am looking for someone who has been through this to speak to.  If you can help, I would be grateful.  Thank you in advance.  Hayley

• Hi Hayley

i had bile duct cancer they found it when i was admitted to hospital with jaundice. Ive had the whipple procedure end of april this year, it took a little while to adapt to my new plumbingBlush but now more less living a normal life. I don’t know if I’m cancer free but you have to be positive. The creon capsules are just a way of life now and are doing the job just fine.

Thanks Lawrence 

• Hi Hayley,

I had surgery at the end of April and am currently on course 4 of 8 courses of chemo.

I've not been as fortunate as Lawrence, who seems to be making amazing progress, but each case is different. 

I have regular blood tests and oncology meetings and am making steady, although slow, progress.

The support of family and friends has been amazing, for which I'm very grateful. 

Everyday has been a challenge, but I remain positive and hopeful of the best outcome possible. 

If sharing experiences helps in any way, please feel free.

Wayzgoose, a 70 year old male

• Good morning wayzgoose

you are truly doing remarkable and I would like to commend you.I was a reasonably healthy 55 year old man when I had the surgery, and then I was having mopping up chemotherapy of 8 cycles of capecitabine, I was closely monitored with the oncology team having regular blood test and scans ect. They are so caring,kind and understanding, however they decided to stop chemotherapy (4th cycle) as the affect has damaged my heart causing heart failure (20% function it was 45%) I’m not complaining as I owe my life to everyone at the QE Hospital,New cross Hospital and MacMillan team for what they have all done for me, these people are so dedicated and special, I really can not put into words how wonderful they are. 
    Wayzgoose and Hayle baby steps and you will get there. Every day is a bonus new day I take a look out of my window and inhale the air and smile, it helps me.

Lawrence

• Thank for the reply Lawrence. 

Your journey is so similar to mine and I can only echo your comments on the surgeon, cancer team and all the NHS staff I came into contact with, truly amazing. 

When I first commented on this site I found it depressing. Everyone seemed so 'iller' than me! So your comment was encouraging and inspiring. 

Best wishes for your continued success.

Wayzgoose

• Hi Lawrence

Thank you for your reply and update, great to hear.

I had half my liver removed and my gallbladder in open surgery.  I have scans every 3/12, along with bloods to check all is remaining stable.  

Physically I am well, emotionally it is hard sometimes, however, I am living this 2nd chance at life, which I am blessed to have been given. 

Best wishes.

Hayley

• Hi

Thank you for sharing your journey, I agree, it is a hard journey and also like you, I pray for the best outcome.

Like you, I have amazing friends, and I also have an amazing husband , all of which I am so grateful for.

Bile Duct Cancer, due to its' aggressive nature, along with how rare it is, can make it a lonely journey, hence why I wanted to write on this forum.

If keeping in touch can help, please feel free also.

Warmest wishes.

Hayley 

• Hi :-)

I was also offered the mop up chemo, same drug as you were given, however, I refused for many reasons, one being they gave me a 10% it 'might' do something, to which I said it would 100% do damage, they agreed.  My Mum and Sister have Cancer so this also played a big part in my 'choice'.

Chemo is a chose for some people and for many it is an life saving drug, I just knew it was not the route for me. 

Lawrence, I hope your heart doesn't give you a lot of complications..?

I am blessed I had an amazing Dr, who had a gut feeling something was wrong, did a CA19 blood test and got me into my local hospital fast for my 1st scan. I am also grateful for my surgeon, he did amazing surgery.  My team now of nurses and Oncologist as all lovely, I am grateful.  

I value life... each day.  I also, sounds crazy, feel blessed for this year, why, because I made me WAKE UP and see life for the gift it is. 

Blessings to you all.

Hayley

• I agree...  We are blessed to have a 2nd chance; to smell the flowers, to feel the sun on our faces, to laugh, to make more memories and to live this life.

x