Hello. Newly diagnosed.

• 5 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hello.  I have recently been diagnosed with intrahepatic bile duct cancer with metastasis to liver and lymph nodes.  Unfortunately surgery is not an option, so I will be offered some form of palliative chemotherapy.  I had biopsies taken last week, and I had a plastic stent (put in July) replaced with a metal stent last Wednesday.  I have a telephone appointment with Aintree Hospital on 31st August to discuss possible treatment options.  At the moment I feel quite well apart from being tired.  I am very worried about chemotherapy, and it’s side effects.  I want to live as long as possible, but I also want a decent quality of life.  I am a bit stressed about the appointment on 31st August, as it is a telephone appointment (I live on the Isle of Man), and also because I don’t know quite what they will suggest, so don’t feel I can prepare questions.  I just wanted to say hello really, and be a support, and be supported by this community.  Thank you.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I haven't had the type of cancer that you have but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list.

It's natural to be worried about chemotherapy but it might not be as bad as you think and you can usually stop or have the dose reduced if you find the side effects too much. I had 21 weeks of chemotherapy for breast cancer last year and hardly had any side effects. At my worst I just felt a bit run down and lethargic. I did lose my hair but that doesn't happen with every type of chemo.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I’m very sorry to read your news. As a newbie to the forum I’m trying to find my way round. My husband is starting palliative chemo for bile duct cancer and I am finding it difficult to come to terms with what will happen over the next few months. 
    I wish you well on 31st August. 

• I’m so sorry to hear about your husband. It’s such a shock to be diagnosed with cancer, and then to be told that palliative chemotherapy is the only option. I’m trying to stay positive and make the best of days when I feel well. It sounds like your husband and I are in a similar place in our treatment. Please keep in touch and hopefully we can support and encourage one another. 

• Of course we can stay in touch. I agree I think both of you are in similar situations. There is some hesitancy in this household about having any chemo, but we shall ask the oncologist again on Tuesday. 
    Will keep you posted.