Recently Diagnosed with Bile duct cancer

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

I was told just over a week ago that I have bile duct cancer. I have a blockage in the tube close to the neck of the pancreas. I had been in two hospitals for over 3 weeks and underwent many scans and tests. I had a drain in for a few days to remove the bile. 

On Tuesday I see a consultant surgeon who will tell me what happens next. I'm not sure what questions to ask. 

Is it terminal? How will it impact on my life? How long do I have to live? What can I expect over the next months? 

Any help or information would be really appreciated.

Thank you 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

How did your appointment with the surgeon go yesterday? I see you were asking the other group members what questions to ask but I'm sure you thought of plenty. If you think of something else after having spoken to him/her, you could always give your CNS a call as they're usually very helpful.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and proposed treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello, so sorry to know you have this diagnosis. My partner has the same. It's a rare cancer, and everyone seems to have a slightly different path so your consultant may not have good answers to your questions. You might find it helpful to look at the AMMF website, or if you're on Facebook join the Cholangiocarcinoma Support (UK and Europe) group. There is a lot of research going on so ask your consultant about trials, It's all scary but you need as much information as you can get. And very best wishes.

• Thank you for your message and good wishes. I really appreciate your information. Good luck to your partner on his journey.

I'm slowly trying to find my way around this site to put information on my profile.