Bile Duct Cancer

• 3 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi, new here, husband diagnosed with BDC in December 2021. Has had 5 1/2 months of chemo. He has some spread to his bones. We have had to postpone the next session of chemo as he is so fatigued. He was doing well up to 4 weeks ago. He doesn't want to eat anything. It's a battle to get him to try anything. I'm afraid if he doesn't eat we won't be able to restart the chemo as he's so fatigued. He's lost  a lot of muscle mass and finding climbing the stairs a real effort. Has anyone any ideas or going through a similar scenario.  Sorry this is so long but feeling so desperate at the moment. 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I don't know anything about bile duct cancer, as I have a different type of cancer, and fortunately I haven't struggled too much with eating while having chemotherapy. I don't know if you've seen it but Macmillan have a whole section on cancer and eating problems that you might like to take a look at.

As you know, the online community is divided up into different support groups so I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you also join the carers only group which will give you the opportunity of taking to others who are looking after someone with cancer and to find out what they find helps encourage eating.

If this is something that you'd like to do just click on the link I've created which will take you directly there. You can then join and post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could pop something about your husband's diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi JJJ,

My Dad has BDC too and is now in his 4th week of chemotherapy. He had a stent fitted about 7 weeks ago and that has really improved his appetite, he has also been given steroids which have improved his appetite. Do you think that something like this could help your husband? My Mum and I have also found that cooking what he feels like and serving it up on a side plate really helps him, as he feels less overwhelmed by the amount of food that he is faced with.

Sending lots of love and hope that you are ok too?

Juliet

• Hi Juliet, 

Thank you for your helpful note. I will broach this with the Oncologist next week regarding the stent. He is eating a little better, and been using side plates as too much food completely turns him off eating.  Hopefully things will pick up soon.  He was doing so well tolerating the chemo the last 5 months, but we have been told it is normal to hit a brick wall. Just hope his energy improves soon. Thank you for your kind wishes. It is overwhelming at times.

Love to you and your Mum on your journey. X