Dad recently diagnosed with bile duct cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hi 

My 59 year old dad has recently been diagnosed with bile duct cancer, we’ve been told they can operate on it by removing two thirds of his liver but with this it’s a risky operation with a high death risk, which is very scary for us. For this they need him to get better but he seems to have his good days and his bad days. This morning he’s been taken into the ICU with an infection so this operation is looking further and further away.

I’m reaching out because I really need some positive news right now - has anyone else really deteriorated and still been able to have the operation? Any one survived a liver resection operation when so much of the liver has been removed? 

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to read that your dad has recently been diagnosed with bile cancer and it's natural to want to be able to find good news stories.

I'm not a member of this group, so don't have the experience you need, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. This may be because bile duct cancer is quite rare so there are less people in this group than many of the others in the community.

My best suggestion for finding positive stories are to have a look through the previous threads where I'm sure you'll find some. You could also use the search bar in this group to look for posts about liver resection, then respond if you think the poster might be able to help with any questions.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your dad's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have an inoperable CC and  keep looking for positive stories. I have been given a book called The Bristol Approach to living with cancer which I have found really helpful and positive. It looks at a holistic style of care . Positivity can have a huge impact on recovery and although your dad is in ITU at the moment ,hopefully he will recover form this infection and then he can build his body back up to be able to fight this horrid disease. Stay strong .