Bile duct cancer New pallative diagnosis

• 14 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hello,

my Mum has been in hospital over the last several weeks investigating a mass in her liver and bile duct region which they now believe is cancer following scans and suspicious 'inconclusive' biopsy results from drained fluid (ascites). 

The mass is blocking her bile duct which we were being told they were going to put a stent in to help the bile flow again which has now been cancelled as the consultant has said she needs to go on palliative care and there is nothing they can do to treat her.

Feeling very frustrated and like we have been given false hope by the medical team leading up to this

Has anyone had an experience similar to this and asked for a second opinion from their medical team?

• Hello all.

It seems we were all in similar situations. Procedures being put off or delayed. 

Its such a horrible fast cancer. Just when we thought we had some light it was put out.

Lost my mum last Monday too.

Thinking of you all.

• Dear McFlyMad,

I'm so sorry for your loss. 

I think for me this kind of cancer isn't widely known, from what I can see it doesn't seem to attract the research other cancers have. Apart from chemo, we had other treatments suggested but then not on offer when my mum wanted to proceed.

Sending you big hugs. Xxx

• Yer I know what you mean. 

Thank you, and to you lovely. 

• I’m so sorry for those who have lost their loved ones to this cancer. I can understand how upset and angry some of you are feeling. I am a fit and healthy 60 year old woman, who had bowel cancer in 2019. When mets were discovered in routine scans I had surgery. Within a few months the cancer returned in almost the same place in my liver. This time we tried chemotherapy. A little response prompted an offer of another surgery. At the end of last October I went ahead. In December after a check up scan found cancer in my one of my lungs, it was found to be bile duct cancer. I had been misdiagnosed since July 2022. That said, this is a difficult cancer to diagnose, and new treatments have only recently been approved on the NHS. I don’t think there’s anything good to come from appointing blame. I respect everyone’s right to do what they see fit, but hope you don’t carry such a terrible burden for too long. I genuinely hope you all get the answers you seek and deserve.