Sort of New :-)

• 14 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hello All

I joined the group a while ago, but this is the first time I’ve posted. I’ve read lots of posts and found lots of useful info along with some that has come as a bit of a shock! But, it’s better to know what’s ahead and have time to process it.

I was diagnosed with anal cancer in November last year and was lucky that they were able to remove most of the mass, however the biopsy showed AIN III in the margin so I’ve been told I will need to be referred to the Homerton Hospital for monitoring following my treatment.

After a long and anxious wait I finally had my first face to face appointment on Monday and a further biopsy yesterday. I start treatment in mid February. Everything seems to be happening very quickly.

Has anyone else been referred to the Homerton? The thought of the AIN is daunting as the consultant has said that the chemo/radio won’t cure it. It feels like even after treatment, it will be a ticking time bomb!

Anyway, sending love, hugs and strength to all my cancer comrades 

June xxx

• Hi Irene, Nicola and Suz

First of all - apologies for leaving it so long to send an update. I promised to let you know what the consultant had to say about the AIN 3 diagnosis and why the radiotherapy wouldn’t get rid of it. I’m sorry it’s taken me so long.

Basically, she said that because cancer treatment targets cells which are dividing - in particular, cancer cells which are dividing at an abnormal rate, the AIN cells would not be destroyed by the treatment, because they are not yet cancer cells. 

I finished treatment four days ago and am happy to no longer be travelling back and forth to the hospital each day, but already missing the daily contact with my fantastic ‘support team’ of friends and family who were ferrying me back and forth. I still can’t believe how quickly that five and a half weeks passed by and think I got off pretty lightly with side effects. It was only in the final week that the soreness kicked in.

You were all so right about the sitzbath - it’s proved to be an absolute Godsend! The hardest thing to cope with is the tiredness- I don’t think I have ever felt so exhausted and must be sleeping for at least 15 hours a day! 

I can feel myself starting to nod, while writing this, so will say bye for now and hope you are all doing well.

June XXX 

• Hello June

It is so good to hear from you, it is wonderful no longer having the daily trek to the hospital, I remember the utter relief that I could stay in bed!  Your symptoms may get slightly worse in the next couple of weeks and then the real recovery starts.  Keep on sleeping - your body is putting everything into recovery after treatment and the fatigue is a sign of that.  I, too, slept most of the day (and night) for a good few weeks after treatment ended.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery - you are out the other side!

Irene xx

• Hi June,

Thanks so much for remembering and giving us that information! I had no idea that the AIN cells don't respond like cancer cells!

I'm glad that the side effects haven't been debilitating. Lots of sleep is exactly what's needed and I'm glad you're going with it. I hope the rest of your recovery remains relatively calm.

Hugs

Suz

• June

So pleased you have come out the other side!  Good for you. x

For those wondering about AIN - the cancer research UK page explains it really well

Here's a link 

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/anal-cancer/stages-types/number-staging/stage-0-anal-intraepithelial-neoplasia