MRI scan

• 13 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hello ladies, Bee again: I have my first MRI scan on Monday, following completion of my chemo/radio treatment on 2nd January. I can't remember if you have to have any needles, eg cannula or not. I'm feeling terribly nervous about it, but of course much more so about the follow-up appointment with my oncologist on the 17th. Am I right in thinking that this first scan isn't going to show much because things are still pretty inflamed, but would it show if the cancer were still there? Thank you in advance everyone. BX

• Wow, Bee, that's very soon for a first scan! But every cancer is individual and your professionals know what they're doing. I seem to remember a small IV to put the contrast dye in.

And yeah, all the cancer fighters are still wildly kung fu fighthing away inside you. I'd give your nurse a call and just ask what they feel the necessity is. Just so you know!

Suz

• Hi ‘B’ ( ),

Your scan date sounds about right for here in the UK, the regime here seems to be to scan 3 months after treatment finishes which is about right if you finished treatment at the beginning of January. I can’t remember having needles with my MRI’s prior to treatment or the ones directly after treatment but my last 2 or 3 I was given buscopan via a cannula directly before I went in for the scan to slow everything down a bit, I’m not sure if this was just me to get clearer imaging if my digestive system was a bit overactive as I’ve not heard anyone else mention having this! The CT scans are the ones where you have a cannula in & the contrast put in mid way through the scan. 

These first scans will give your oncologist an idea of your response to treatment, it may be that you’ve had a complete response & that they can’t see any residual disease on your scans but from reading other peoples accounts here it doesn’t seem to be unusual for the response not to be complete at this stage, remember the radiotherapy doesn’t stop working straight after that last session, it’s built up in your body over the 5-6 weeks you’ve been going & it will continue doing its thing for quite some time afterwards so again from reading other’s experiences those that haven’t had a complete response at 3 months often have when scanned again at 6 months. You’re right about at this stage there still being inflammation & the scans can often also show scar tissue that has been left by the radiotherapy. Your oncologist will explain all of this I’m sure at your appointment on the 17th. 

The nervousness you’re feeling, most commonly referred to here as ‘scanxiety’ is awful, it’s something we’ve all been through & still do go through so we completely understand. I’ve had my last scans at the beginning of last year as my treatment was almost 5 years ago & I’m due for discharge this June (I expected one last set prior to discharge but my colorectal surgeon said I don’t need them) & always felt nervous going for them even though I knew my chances of any reoccurrence etc., was low, I now feel nervous because I’m not having any more, you just can’t win!! 

Sending a ton of good luck wishes for Monday & again for the 17th, let us know how it goes when you feel ready. I’ll be thinking of you. 

Nicola 

• I had a pet after three months, it showed a shrinking mass. At about six months I had an MRI and it was with contrast so an injection/IV. It wasn't bad and my veins are wasted from treatment and hydration. I have no signs of cancer ten months later. It looks like everyone is different so I would ask. Good luck. You got this!   

• I always have the injection before my MRI, the radiographer warned me that I might have a sugar slump later, and sure enough that night I came over all clammy and nearly passed out on the sofa, .  I was as right as rain after something to eat.  But oddly, it has only happened once.

• Bee, the actual scan is fine, you have to lie still for about half-an-hour and it is quite noisy, but they give you headphones and play music which helps a lot.  Just be careful that you remove anything metallic, I forgot to take off my Apple watch and some time in became aware of my wrist getting hot; I had to press the alarm button and the staff were so concerned, my wrist was fine but my watch had well and truly had it.  Guess what I got for Christmas that year?!

And the follow-on appointment is utterly nerve-wracking, there is no doubt about that, and as Nicola says, even years down the line she still goes through it.  When I went for my appointment after my first scan the oncologist didn't say the tumour had gone, she said there was considerable inflammation, but confirmed we were ok to travel, and days later, off we went for three months to Spain.  I had been told prior to my scan not to make travel arrangements until after the procedure, so I made the assumption that medically, everything was going as planned.  But radiotherapy goes on working for quite some time after treatment finishes.  It might be an idea to write down anything you want to ask the oncologist at the follow-on appointment as in the stress of the moment, everything you want to say or ask goes right out of the window. 

My heart goes out to you, I totally understand your stress and will be thinking of you and waiting to hear from you.  And we are always here too, between now and then if you need a friendly ear from those who 'know'.

Irene xx

• Hello Nicola, many thanks for your full reply, I seem to remember buscopan as well, but I think I'll phone my speciality nurse as well, although all of you have been so helpful. As long as I get my new supply of Lorazepam before Monday, I can take half  of one and hopefully won't feel too anxious. Thank you again. B X

• Hello Irene, thanks so much for your great reply. You are all so helpful on here I don't know how I managed before I discovered you. I asked about needles because when I had the CT scan the nurse couldn't get the canula in and my arm was quite badly bruised for some time. I'm absolutely needle-phobic unfortunately. I'll let you all know how things go on the 17th - as you say, dreading it. BX

• Hi all, just to say that I looked at my letter for the MRI and no buscopan is mentioned, so I guess I won't be having any needles tg. X

• I know all about bruises from attempts to insert a canula!  I have tiny deep veins in my arm and only one have they been successful getting a cannula in there.  Normally I have them in the back of my hand, but even then it never works first time.  My mother was the same, as are my daughters.  When I was having the chemo treatment at the beginning, I had to have regular blood tests the day prior to chemo.  The young phlebotomist who was Turkish was absolutely amazing.  She always managed the cannula in a vein first time and totally without pain.  I was so interested in how good she was I asked her about her background.  She was a qualified nurse in Turkey, in the unit with premature babies, where she regularly took blood samples from these tiny little ones.  She was waiting for exam results in order to nurse here in the UK, I hope she got through!

• That's interesting Irene, they always have problems with me & needles and it might be because I have Reynauds, but I'm not sure. x