Hello. New here.

• 6 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Newly diagnosed- what a shock.  65 not had any major health problems. Had been treated for haemorrhoids but knew something wasn’t quite right. Fast tracked, biopsy, CT, MRI, bloods, PET scan. Now have a chemo/radiotherapy plan with treatment starting next week.  All this going on at the same time as moving house. Now moved, surrounded by boxes. Have told my kids who are older but nonetheless shocked on hearing the news.  I know I have to tell friends and other family members, work colleagues but where do I start? My manager at work knows and will not tell anyone until I give the go ahead. I work from home but cannot face it at the moment, I work for a medical insurance company and cannot deal with medical problems and discussing medical issues.  Just feeling a bit unsure about the future….

• I am so sorry about your diagnosis, I think your reaction of shock is shared by most people when they first find out they have cancer; I couldn't even speak to anyone from the hospital in the early days, I was frozen with fear and my husband did all the liaison and took care of the diary of the appointments. 

We all have different reactions about telling people.  In the early days I didn't want anyone to know at all apart from very close family and to this day I am not quite sure why.  I think I didn't want people looking at me and pitying me or to be defined by having cancer.  You must do what is right for you and what you feel comfortable with; take your time and get used to the news yourself (and you will, although it mightn't seem like it at the moment).  

The treatment can be painful towards the end and immediately afterwards but the team treating you will give you all medication and creams that you need to help you through this period.  Some people on the forum carried on working but you may find yourself so tired (I did, towards the end I slept most of the day) that you will find it difficult to do much at all, even though you are at home. 

Any questions you have (nothing is off-limits), there are lots of really knowledgable people here who have all been through what you are going through now and have stayed around to help others negotiate this path.  Even though I was surrounded by people who loved me, I found it an incredibly lonely journey and having contact with people who really knew what I was going through was a huge help.  So please remember, you are not alone.  Will be thinking of you, please come back and let us know how you are.

Irene  xx

• Thank you for this and your kind words. 

• Hi Kaye,

It's bound to rock anyone pretty hard- it sure did me! But you are well positioned to sail through this and leave it all behind you, starting off with being in good health and addressing this fast and hard.

I took a few weeks to get my head around it, then did a blog post and directed anyone who needed to know to it so I didn't have to keep explaining over and over. I'll do another one at some point, but don't have my first set of clean scans yet and want to keep it light and funny. I didn't have much of a sense of humor during and after treatment, but it's coming back.

As Irene said, lots of people sail through and keep working and running marathons and whatnot. I wasn't one of 'em although I had every intention of being one of the lucky ones. Six months out of treatment I now have very little pain but the fatigue still socks me pretty hard. I'm back to work but I only work part time and it's not onerous.

I'm glad you found this forum so early in your journey. We'll be with you every step of the way. 

Suz

• Hi Kaye

So sorry to hear your diagnosis.  Your story is so similar to mine I too was wrongly diagnosed with haemorrhoids and if you click on my name you will see my story.  It is a massive shock to find out you have cancer and the hardest thing to share with your family.  The worst time for me was the three weeks waiting for the scan results and plan for treatment. I only told my close family and friends to start with as it is tiring updating everyone as you go along with the treatment.  

I am 8 weeks after treatment now due my first scans in four weeks. You will find this forum is your best friend moving forward I couldnt have got through the treatment without the help and support from the lovely people in this group who all know what you are going through. I use the search option to find any information I need at different stages of the treatment as well as asking questions.

Will be thinking of you let us know how you go on.

Carole x

• Thank you.  I’m going to look at the other blogs under the anal cancer heading as I’m sure I will find some useful info.

• Hi ,

Firstly welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m so sorry that you’ve had the need to find us. 

You’ve had several responses from some of our lovely members already, we have a wonderful supportive group here where between us all we have lots of hints, tips & advice on getting through diagnosis, treatment & recovery. 

My advice regarding telling people, just do you!! By that I mean don’t feel you have to tell anyone other than the people that you want to know what you’re going through. I went through my diagnosis & treatment with only my daughter, mum, dad, sister, one Aunty & 6 of my very closest friends knowing, my manager at work obviously knew as I was off work for 6 months in total but I asked for my diagnosis to be kept confidential, it’s just the way I best deal with things. Once through the other side of my treatment & having a good result from my first round of scans I began to feel I could start talking to people about what I’d been through. This community was my absolute saving grace where I could talk with other people that had walked this path before me & I gained great advice & comfort from this. 

Nicola