Just diagnosed

• 7 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi everyone I am 57 I've never been in hospital, fit, healthy and very sporty then 6wks ago was diagnosed with rectal cancer and have had scans, x-rays, colonoscopy, biopsies and now been told I actually have anal cancer.  I am so confused and shocked after reading up on how you could get this type of cancer? Which does not relate to me, I have 3 more hospital appointments then I'll have 5wks intensive radio/chemo therapy which I'd rather face than the operation that was first suggested.

I am stage 3 do I have a good chance I can be cured of this? 

• Hi ,

Firstly welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m really sorry that you’ve had the need to find us. 

There is a lot of misunderstandings that lead to feelings such as the ones you’re experiencing surrounding a diagnosis of anal cancer. Much of the information about anal cancer that’s found through Google is outdated & some of it is just plain incorrect.

A large number of anal cancer diagnoses are HPV related, the same virus that can be the cause of cervical cancer. There are lots of different strains of HPV & most people that have been sexually active (not promiscuous) have come into contact with HPV, mostly our immune systems deal with HPV the same as any other virus & clear it but there are a few strains that can go onto cause other issues including cervical, vaginal, penile, vulval & anal cancers. 

Chemoradiotherapy is a very effective treatment for anal cancer, it’s short & sharp but doable & there are many of us here that are testament to this. We’ve members here that have been diagnosed at all different stages some newly diagnosed like yourself, some going through treatment, some in recovery & others that are a little further down the line, personally I was diagnosed at 52 & I’m a little over 4 years post treatment with no evidence of disease (NED) & back living my life. Please if you have any questions just ask we’re an open minded bunch (comes with the territory!!) & nothing is too personal, we’ve all been where you are now & for me this forum was my saving grace, as soon as I joined I didn’t feel alone in this anymore. 

Nicola 

• Oh my goodness thank you so much what comfort I have taken from your kind words tonight and I have a little bit more hope too

Xxx

• Getting a cancer diagnosis is absolutely terrifying; everyone on here can totally empathise with your confusion and shock and remember those feelings only too well.  There are quite a number of people who were stage III here on the forum who visit and regularly help others and they are now clear.  This is a very treatable cancer and although the five weeks chemo/radiotherapy can be very tough, it does pass quickly and your treating team will make sure that you have all the things to help with pain and discomfort.  And the nature of this beast is that there are no holds barred when it comes to discussing what is happening to your body on this forum!  Don't hold back on any questions you may have, either now, during or after treatment.  Please remember you are not alone in this and come back and let us know how you are.

• Hi Irene, 

saw your bio and thought I’d see how your doing? Probably a little while ago now but how the the cheMo radio go? Have you had the lung op yet? 

• The chemo/radiotherapy was ok in the beginning, but a bit brutal at the end but the staff were lovely and really looked after me well with painkillers and dressings.  I have had both lung ablations too, at the Royal Marsden in Chelsea.  With both of them I had slight complications which are very common in lung ablations but I was only kept in an extra day.  How are you?

• I’m glad to hear all went well. Hope your recovering and slowly gaining some normality. I’m not great atm. I have recently had a stomach formed as I was due to start the chemo/rad and there was concerns that the tumor may cause a fistula. This has delayed the treatment until 12th October which is really distressing mentally. I’ve had scans recently which shows that the mets I already have are progressing slightly but there’s no further spread. 
    There was also a positive in that the mets aren’t in my peritoneal lining as I was first told. Which means they can be possibly be treated with radio and the surgeon has said he can operate at a later date. 
    despite this I can’t help but feel the least motivated I have since diagnosis Weary

• All the appointments and various opinions really take their toll on your mental health.  The positive to take from this (very difficult I know) is that you have been told the mets can be treated.  But you are understandably deeply affected by this rollercoaster of a journey.  Hang on in there; can  you arrange for help whilst you are having the radiotherapy?  I really feel for you, having all this on your plate whilst caring for a young family.  Sending you a huge hug and please remember, you are not alone in this; we are all thinking of you xx