Squamous cell carcinomas

• 6 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi, 

I'm new to here & just looking for some advice / guidance.

My cancer is on exterior of my bum. I was just wondering with regards to the radiotherapy,  would you advise just using sanitary pads / panty liners or full on paper knickers?

Also, the best creams / shower gels to use? 

Any other pointers would be great too 

Thanks 

Tina

• Hello Tina, are you about to go through chemo radiotherapy or post treatment. Reading posts on here when I started my treatment over a year ago I found reading the experiences of members on here can differ from one to another on how they dealt with side effects from treatment. Whilst going to the hospital daily for treatment I did not have to wear pads or paper knickers. I did wear liners to protect my underwear from the creams I used to treat my skin. If you want to know beforehand what kind of things members found helpful like a portable commode that fits over the toilet to help with sore skin or toileting. The creams you will use will be advised via your treating team at the hospital. Some liked wearing boxer type knickers because they were loose and airy. I wore some shorts type knickers a size up in soft cotton which were comfortable for me. If you need to ask about anything just ask away and I am sure you will get some really good tips. Julie

• Thanks Julie,  

I start chemo radiotherapy on the 22nd of this month.

Thank you so much for the advice.

Just feeling a bit anxious at the moment & thinking about what itinerary I need to buy before I start treatment. 

I'll definitely be investing in some knicker type shorts, thank you again Blush

• Hi Tina not too long before you start and in my experience your anxiety will get better once you are getting the treatment.  

I’m two weeks out of finishing 28 sessions and my advice is to take it one day at a time (I know easier said than done, but it helps honestly).  Also don’t be afraid to ask all the questions you may have, I write them down.  Take all the creams and treatments they offer you as you may find one is better for you than others.  

The portable bath is called a Sitz bath and it does help but I also brought a Happypo from Amazon and that has been invaluable especially as the treatments go on.  I brought the 500ml one, fill it with ordinary salted warm water and leave it by the loo!

Whenever you can go knickerless and let the air get to your nether regions! 

Please keep in touch and ask any questions as I’m sure everyone will agree no question is too silly or too personal.  

Take care

Sue x

• Hi Tina, 

I got a LOT of paper knickers (how I love the English, that is such a more elegant term than 'Depends' or diapers) but I found them very uncomfortable and need to donate them all. I just wore my own XL panties, but went commando for as long as possible when the skin really started to suffer. 

I used no shower gels, soap or anything remotely scented anywhere near my bum. Still can't, to my sorrow, since I love scented bubble baths, but I don't think I'll ever be able to use anything more than Epsom salts in my nightly tub. I just use the handheld in the shower and spritz 'er down as well as I can stand.

My husband put a bidet attachment on our toilet and it's been a total life saver. If that's not an option, get a good Sitz bath and few peri-bottles to keep stashed for emergency dashes.

I've had the best luck with a thick pink paste called Calmoseptine and a radiation-specific cream called Miaderm. But you guys seem to have access to a much wider variety of unguents to try. 

Oh, how I love for Universal Health Care.

Ask your Cancer Team for help, try different things when something doesn't work, remember it WILL end, and keep coming here for support.

We got your back.

Suz

• Hi ,

Firstly welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m so sorry that you’ve had the need to find us! 

You’ve received some great responses here to your post already & we’re a great, open minded, supportive bunch here so please if ever you’ve any questions just ask & there’s usually someone on hand that can offer some advice or reassurance. 

A couple of things I’d like to echo that I think have already been mentioned. Firstly take each day as it comes, although there are some common threads that run through the side effects of the treatment  everyone is an individual & your journey will be exactly that. Secondly don’t be afraid to tell your treating team if something they’ve given you, be that creams, pain relief etc., isn’t cutting it they have a whole arsenal of other products they can prescribe. Last but not least, listen to your body, fatigue was a major side effect from the treatment for me & I found I couldn’t get through the day without a nana nap!! Regular tiredness you can push through but fatigue is a whole different animal so rest when you need to. 

Just a bit of an afterthought, I would make sure you have some decent antihistamines in also as once you get a couple of weeks in the radiotherapy can cause itchiness, both internal & external, I found taking a one-a-day Piriton tablet eased this no end, but as I’ve said this may not happen as everyone is different. You’ve asked about shower gels etc. I was advised by my radiotherapy team to wash with aqueous cream following a bout of radiation cystitis & even now, I’m a little over 4 years post treatment, that’s still all that I wash with as anything else still stings a little down below! I was advised that even the 0% feminine washes kill off the good bacteria we girls need to keep things healthy down there! 

As I’ve said please come back & ask if you’ve any more questions. 

Nicola 

• Hi Tina, sorry you have found yourself here, I’m nearly 4 months post treatment and doing well.

when I started my treatment I had Epsom salt baths everyday I used the one for dry skin eczema and psoriasis brilliant stuff, I used aqueous  cream to wipe myself after a wee and still do, and used a barrier cream recommended by the team, 

I was very lucky in the fact the only side effect I got was the itching and was told to use antihistamine which was brilliant I only used it for a couple of days after a good week of itching, wished I realised sooner haha.

I had one area at the top of my bum that became a little sore and felt it was because where I was laying and it was a pressure area but this soon went. 

iv had to have a stoma so never really had pooing issues that a lot of people have while going through the treatment so can’t advise you, however I will say you can become very loose so maybe eat foods that are not high in fibre, but you don’t want to get constipated either again someone on here can give advice or talk to your team.

And like everyone else says take one day at a time, I was on oramorph for pain relief and has been a god send.

take care 

Laura x