How long can it take for a diagnosis,

• 20 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi everyone, I've been for a referral on 10 may had biopsy done same day, told not hemeroids and looks bad, since then 1 failed colorectal app due to no biopsy results, then meeting with them told me it was cancer no surgery just chemo and radiation, however still no results, then results were inconclusive, he didn't go deep enough so still waiting for second biopsy, had full body CT, had MRI, going for pet CT scan on wed 22 but still no diagnosis, my works sick pay runs out next month and I can't claim without diagnosis, already suffer with anxiety and depression almost thought I would beat cancer my way, still here though, how long have some of you waited, my second biopsy was said to be urgent 3 weeks ago, sorry for blurting it's not like me, 

• Hi Buttofalljokes, 

just wanted to find out how you got on with your phone call re 2nd  biopsy, and have you now got a date? Did you also ask about being appoint a McMillan nurse who you can Liaise with?

take care 

Laura

• Hi Laura, still no news of 2nd biopsy I will now wait till Tues afternoon as the team have consult on Tues morn so I hope I get results of pet CT and hopefully a date for the 2nd biop, sounds like I get a nurse after diagnosis which won't come till after biopsy is done and results in so could still be waiting another 2-3 weeks, have got my anxiety and depression meds upped so I hope no more darkness, I will update after call on Tues, thanks Laura, x

• Hi Buttofalljokes 

But you have been diagnosed with anal cancer you should already have a nurse, as soon as I had my colonoscopy, I then got a call a couple of days later from the nurse telling me, that I can call them anytime, and talked to me about  what going to happen next with up and coming scans that she has booked me in for etc etc.

i suppose it’s differ everywhere!!

Hope by upping your meds it will help with your anxiety, what your pain like are you on any pain relief? 

take care Laura

• Hi I’m so sorry you are having to go through this.
    I was very “fortunate “ in that I was diagnosed on 6th May and start treatment on Monday.  But I have been very proactive in keeping in touch with my consultants secretary and all the different departments involved.  

Basically I have made a nuisance of myself by pushing the process along.  I know this is not for everyone but since I was misdiagnosed by gp, haemorrhoids, he told me op for this is not urgent so would be a 18 month waiting list.  So I decided to see a private consultant who obviously had a different take on the gp…..thank God! So I think that I wanted to check and recheck each part of the journey to treatment starting.  It’s helped with my time scale. 
    please keep in touch on here and I wish you all the very best 

• Well I'm not sure if I'm surprised or not but had the pet CT scan done and told results would be between 2-5 days so I thought I would let the team discuss at their meeting on Tues am, well called on Tues pm to find results not ready and also still no date for second biopsy, I have a nurse from the colorectal team and I'm not getting any real info just results not ready so we will discuss at next meeting, next Tues am, as for biopsy, I will get admissions to call you, does it really take 4 weeks just to get a date when marked urgent, 

So far this has been going on since the 10 may and all I have been told is I have anal cancer but no diagnosis as they don't have all test results, feeling frustrated, I do understand I'm not the only one but things seem to take forever, x

• Yeah, sounds daft but I'm glad I've got my 2nd biopsy date, it's on the 4th of July at 12, got pre op tomorrow at 1.30, and I've been told I won't be staying the night, even better, so that should mean in the next 2 weeks I should have a staging, and a formal diagnosis, in a way feels like a weight lifted, then I can find out what happens next, now I'm nervous, oh well, x

• Hi buttofalljokes, so glad you finally have your date for 2nd biopsy, hope all go’s well, let us know how you get on

take care

Laura x x

• Finally - so 4 July isn't long to wait at all.  Will be thinking of you, please come back and let us know the next steps.  Very best of luck.

• Hi Buttofalljokes, 

Just thought I’d say hello, and see how you are doing? 

Laura x

• So glad you've got that much! Good luck tomorrow and I hope your medical team can get a move on and get you the diagnosis, I hate that it's interfering with your work leave. Hang in there. We're all rooting for you.