New treatment

• 37 replies
  • 62 subscribers

Hi have had CT scans MRI and colonoscopy. The surgeon thought it was rectal cancer but it's Anal cancer. I now need a pet scan and radiation and some chemo tablet. I know it's going to be hard but I was dreading surgery. I now need to wait to be reffered  to new consultant.. I live in Edinburgh. Any tips

• Morning blackpudding, sorry to hear of your diagnosis your in the right place, I found out I had anorectal cancer last October, like you had ct scan, mri pet ct, biopsy’s, and was told I had to have a colostomy 1 as my tumour was blocking me from going to the toilet 2 it would be much easier for when I start radiotherapy next Monday, I will be having chemotherapy as well, as much as I’m looking forward to getting the treatment underway I’m really frightened of what possible side effects I may have. 
    when do you start your treatment?

• No sure need to get pet scan and then talk to new consultant

• Black pudding, I know the pet ct scan for me was to see if the cancer had spread, my oncologist showed me the scan when I went to see him 2 weeks ago, luckily it hasn’t spread, but the radiation showed a  big mass which is the tumour in my rectum and 2 spots either side which are lymph nodes, biopsy confirmed I had squamous carcinoma in my anus.
    what sort of tips are you looking for? If I can help I’d be more than happy to x 

• I was fortunate according be to CT and MRI it's not spread. It's just the side effects will be able not work it will be worth to get it burned out

• Good morning and welcome to this community. You will find loads of support on here from people going through similar, and those who have come out the other side. This is a frightening time waiting for treatment to start. But once you get going time flies. I had a colonoscopy and biopsy last September , like you thought to be rectal cancer by the surgeon but shown at biopsy and scans to be squamous cell carcinoma , anal cancer. I started treatment in November, the usual 28 doses radiotherapy over 5 1/2weeks combined with mitomycin chemo infusion and capecitabine tablets.  I am now back at work reduced hours. Everybody seems to be different with recovery rates though, some better some worse than that. You will feel very tired towards the end of treatment and for a while after so be kind to yourself and don’t expect too much . 
    If you scroll through these posts you will find some great tips. I will see if I can find the latest with a really good list of suggestions and put a post on it to bring it up so it’s easier for you to see.

Basically , pampers coconut wipes, get a sitz bath and lots of salt to put in your bath.
    Good luck and honestly you can put anything on here , don’t be embarrassed!

• Hi pita I’m just about to go through the same treatment as you, have you had your 3 month scan yet is so did the treatment work? 
    i was told I would have a scan after 3 months if it’s still there I have to give it another 3 months if it’s still there then possibly surgery I also have scc and a tumour in my rectum x

• Hi Dizzy, I have had a 6 week follow up appointment ( a chat and a look at the outside skin but no DRE thank goodness!) I have my next MRI scan 13 March then follow up with the consultant 2 weeks later for the results . That’s going to be a long 2 weeks waiting!

• What DRE? 
    fingers crossed all will be well for you, I see coconut wipes the other day and brought them to clean around my stoma so I’ll make sure to top up for radiotherapy burns x x

• Hi 

I’d like to echo the welcome you’ve already received to the Macmillan online community although I’m so sorry you’ve had the need to find us. 

Most of us here have had chemoradiotherapy for a diagnosis of anal cancer which on the most part has consisted of daily radiotherapy for around 28 days combined with a short mitomycin infusion (chemo) on day 1 of radiotherapy followed by capecitabine tablets (chemo) twice daily each day of radiotherapy. Treatment is generally Monday to Friday with weekends off all treatments. Side effect from treatment differ from person to person so I’ll not bombard you with a ton of information right now but please ask if there’s anything else you’d like to know, don’t be shy due to the nature of this cancer nothing is taboo here! 

Nicola