Very painful passing stools and frequency

• 14 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hello 6 weeks ago I completed a series of 28 radiotherapy sessions together with chemo tablets every day.   Since then like many I’m experiencing fatigue, but I’m okay with that.  I’m more concerned - very - that now my appetite and taste buds have returned to normal I feel the need to pass stools more frequently and am in more pain each time than at the beginning of the recovery.  My anus has now developed haemorrhoids as a result too.  Each passing is so painful it makes me shudder and shake and I believe that the pain is causing my lower legs and ankles to swell greatly.

If anyone has experience of this continuing pain and burning, which is not improving and swelling of legs and frequency of stools say 3-4 times a day, please let me know how you’re dealing with it.    I have my first follow up telephone appointment with the oncologist this coming Thursday.

• Hi Nana42

This is me too! Thanks for raising. Good luck x

• Hello! this is my first post in the group, I found it today. I wish I'd found it earlier... I felt prompted to share with you what helps me with my frequent fissures and haemorrhoids (Stage 3 and I've had a lot of pain. I was diagnosed in May 2021, last chemo/radiation treatment 30 July 2021). Two things: I did and still use a laxative (I'm in the USA and use Murillax, but whatever works for you) 2x day to ensure that every bowel is as soft as possible without moving into diarrhea (which happens, but it is a LOT better than the horrific pain of constipation). I was also prescribed a topical cream with both lidecaine and morphine from my doctor. It's a game changer. Regarding pain: shaking is the body's way of handling severe pain and trauma. Allow it to happen. I also found that sounding helped, screaming, groaning, etc. I also found that after treatment I had a worse time. I've come to understand that, for me, the tumor had shrunk, pulled away from the anal canal wall and had left a large wound. Every time I had a bowel movt (even soft), it passed the open, internal wound, and wow... pain. It will get better. Cool water directly on your anus is a help, but honestly, I ended up on a combination of hydrocodone and morphine to get me through until the internal wound healed. I'm now dealing with getting off opioids, which is pretty awful, too. But that's another thread! I hope something in here helps you. You're definitely not alone. xoxo

• Hi Holibobs.  Thanks for posting your experiences.  Some are very similar to mine.  Also I’m coping in similar ways.  At least I have picked up so much useful information from what people have posted here.  I find passing a stool over warm water helps, I don’t mind shaking or stamping my feet as it helps.  I use instillagel to stop the burning of the anus after multiple movements.  I also try and manage things by using a stool softener and Imodium when things get out of hand.  I also use some morphine liquid when the burning is intolerable.     My first scan after radiotherapy is 28 February followed by oncologist appointment so I’ll see how I’m doing.

I find dealing with what my digestive system best tolerates very trying as I’m a Mediterranean diet type person and that doesn’t suit me right now.  I’m eating contrary to my usual preference.   I’m only nearly three months past the end of radiotherapy and was told the healing process could take from 3-6 months and possibly up to 1 or 2 years.  So I’m only at the beginning of my healing journey.  The only way is up.

• Hi Nana42

It would appear that we are ‘early days’ - crikey!

You sound like you’re going through exactly the same as I did at that time. I’m 16 weeks post treatment now. I have to say, I have just turned a bit of a corner I think, and the frequency, the pain, the urgency, has subsided somewhat. Although, I have developed haemorrhoids this week. It never rains it pours eh! Every time I say I’m getting better, something new happens! 

Like you I tend to eat a Mediterranean diet so lived off of stodge for months (I’m a stone heavier! If there was one highlight to all this I thought it was that I’d finally lose a few lbs but ….)

Any hoo! I’m definitely improved and I’m filtering the fruit and veg back into the diet slowly. I’m living everyday as it comes and roll on the summer!

Best wishes to you x