Good & bad news

• 3 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi everyone
First excuse my gramma, english isn’t my fist language.
Just seen the consultant on the 19/08 and there were good and bad news.
The good, the tumour is small and hasn’t spread yet.
The bad is that it will be a difficult surgery because it is very low down.
This mean the possibility of a permanent stoma.
Also i’m told by the cosultant, risk of impotency if the rectal nerve get damaged during the surgery.
I’m sure that the consultant had to tell me every eventual scenarios but it was hard to hear and digest.
I have 3 weeks before my op to get used to the ideas.
Just hope he can save my bum (i was going to say the A word but not sure i’m allowed hereBlush)
I’m trying to find humour where & when ever I can at the moment but also find my mind racing negatively all the time. I’m also waking up in the middle of the night and not falling back to sleep.
Good job i still have an office job with flexi time, i’m in there every morning at 6amBlush
I know that everybody mean well by telling me to be & keep positive but i’m finding hard.
I’m scared and anxious about what is going to happen, normal i suppose.
Thanks for reading

• Hi there ,

Firstly welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m sorry that you’ve had the need to find us. Can I ask if it’s a diagnosis of anal cancer or rectal cancer that you’ve been given Although these are both in the same vicinity the treatments are quite different. If it’s anal cancer you have then you’re in the right place, if it’s rectal cancer we have another group for Bowel (colon and rectal) cancer forum, if you click on this link it will take you straight there. I totally agree that surgeons & oncologists do have to cover every eventuality where risk factors & side effects are concerned & this can be difficult to hear as you go into surgery/treatment expecting to experience every one of them. Following my diagnosis, like you, I would fall asleep but wake up a couple of hours later with my thoughts racing & find it impossible to get back to sleep. I now know this is something most people go through & it’s obviously due to the uncertainty, worry & stress that a cancer diagnosis brings with it! It is so difficult to cope with in those early days & people do just mean well when they say ‘stay positive’ or ‘you’ve got this’ but it doesn’t help when it’s you that’s had this diagnosis & you’re struggling with all of this information about treatment options etc. This is the place where you can air your worries & concerns, we’ve all been there & completely understand. 

Nicola 

• Thanks for kind words Nikki

• Hi and welcome to the group. I think possibly one of the more difficult parts of a cancer diagnosis is right at the beginning, it really is life changing and you need quite some time to adapt to it. Continuing to work is a good idea, it will keep you distracted to an extent and help keep some routine and  normality in your  life. Sleeping is very difficult after news like this, if you arrive at the point when you are beginning to be unable to cope with it (and with the anxiety) please speak to your GP.    If you do have a stoma there is a stoma support group on the community which you can access by clicking the following link https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/ileostomy-and-colostomy-discussions-forum/    Also, you can say any words you like on here, bum, anus, the lot. There's nothing we haven't all heard before! All the best, Bev.