Hello

• 3 replies
  • 57 subscribers

My wife was diagnosed with anal canal cancer late last year. Currently undergoing treatment. Thought it may be useful to share experiences and learn. 

• Hi there ,

Welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m sorry that you’ve had the need to find us. 

Please feel free to ask anything you wish as unfortunately most of us here have been in your wife’s position, some like myself are through the other side & others are just starting out on this bumpy road & we have a wealth of experience between us.

If you click on my username you can read a little about me there but briefly I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma anal cancer in February 2018, I had surgery March 2018 & entered into a clinical trial for chemoradiotherapy in May 2018, as far as I know I’m NED to date & back living my life as I was prior to my diagnosis. 

Nicola

• Hi  and welcome, I’m 18 months post treatment and no evidence of disease. As  has said, there’s people at all different stages of treatment and post-treatment in this group and between us we’ve encountered a wide range of side effects and have lots of advice to give. Please let us know what things you need any advice in relation to as and when you need to. Bev. 

• Hi Felltop

How lovely that you are supporting her And have come.on her to help find out as much as you can, I.always said it must be as hard if not harder for the partner as I.know.my husband felt so helpless and just wanted to make things better for me.   

The good news is although the treatment is harsh the outcome is good.  I finished treatment last April and was given the all clear in September.  

Nikki and 1500 are amazing and are always here to give you advice and support.  

My one golden piece of advice for radiotherapy sores and burns would be Sitz baths and a pillow or cusion between the legs at night.    I also had a stoma which has now been reversed so if you need any advice with that then please just shout.   

Take care of her and of you xx