Hi

• 11 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Thought id say hello as really struggling with this. Im male 53 and shocked as thought i had a pile.its been a horrible 2 months but im now in 2nd week of treatment. I keep worrying about what happens if treatment doesnt work and the days are so long as i really miss normal life going to work etc kids in school wife at work. I get bad anxiety and o cant relax ive started getting help .Just been prescribes anti depressant but paranoid that it will stop chemo tablets working im a mess lol

• Hi Patski2,

Welcome to a wonderful place where the support is incredible.

I'm 50 years old, with three children - the youngest is twelve, and only ten weeks post-treatment. It feels dark and surreal at times during the radiation and chemo treatment, but take it day by day and focus on yourself and treatment. There are so many success stories on this forum. 

I'll admit, my mind races to scary, dark places as I project ahead, and sometimes my fears keep me up, but every week I move away from treatment, I've managed to compartmentalize my fears and get on with life.

I hope you have a wonderful support system at home; it's a stressful time, and yes, the mundane normalcies of life suddenly seem achingly lovely. 

Stay strong and confident you will return to normal life soon.  Please know everyone supports and welcomes you.

Onward to better days,

Sarah  

• Thanks Sarah so 10 weeks after treatment are you able to do normal things again ie side affects and also at this point do you know if treatment worked well? Many Thanks

• Hi again, Patski2,

Yes, at ten weeks post-treatment, I have started to play some tennis again with my husband. I'm not as agile and nimble, but I will regain strength. I teach at a local college and never stopped, but I have the luxury of teaching from home through Zoom right now. 

I was diagnosed as T2, N1, MO with two potentially involved lymph nodes - so stage 3a. I have my first PET/CT scan on April 14th to assess the tumor, so I really don't know at this point, other than I feel quite good. 

It's hard to imagine feeling great once again while you are in the throes of treatment, but it does happen. I had 29 sessions of radiation with two chemo infusions 28 days apart, along with chemo tablets for 29 days.

I've researched data and statistics ad nauseam, and I can't help but worry about my prognosis. My husband is very supportive and tells me we cannot worry about the future. Sometimes I can reason this approach, but other times I fret about the upcoming scan. My tumor was 2.5 cm, so I hope that the radiation, which is quite harsh on SCC, has blasted it away.

How are you feeling physically so far? I'm sure you have read all the great advice on this forum. 

All the best as you navigate the next few weeks,

Sarah      

• Thanks Sarah so far i feel fine but only at beginning of 2nd week.Mentally im awfull feel like lifes over and im going to have constant worry hanging over me. I think my size tumour is similar to yours.Thats encouraging that your back playing tennis it feels like such a long way off even getting through treatment.I feel so down all the time about this the weekend was the longest ever i dont really know the answer. Been prescribed something but not sure if i should take it. My sleep is crap which doesnt help. I have to get through it for my family so one day at a time. Regards Paul

• Hi Patski2

Glad your treatment is now well underway and fingers crossed it goes well. It is a bit of a journey!! With its ups and downs. I finished my Chemoradiotherapy on 23/12/20 so now 12 weeks post treatment. The negatives are that the period post treatment was the hardest. Very sore and tired. Going to the loo for me was very painful so would recommend getting a few things to help through that. Portable bidet (bottle with spout on end), soft sponge for washing and flushable toilet wipes were all in my essential list. 
    My tumour was 7cms long and 3 lymph nodes affected. I have had 2 examinations- which were painful!!! First identified tumour reduced to 2 cms, second that it had reduced more. So it’s still cooking inside!! I don’t think I’d appreciated how long the radiation continues to work after treatment finishes. I have just had a MRI and CT scan and consultation on 26/3 will know if it has gone or not. And then another examination under GA. I’m telling you this to help you get some idea of timeline as I wasn’t at all clear! Like all of us I worry and have wake up times but I try to think forget it until you know and deal with outcomes then. Easy said than done some days. 
    on the positives. It is definitely less painful to go to the loo, but it can still be urgent and I wee a lot!! I have taken up the challenge to walk 10,000 steps every day in March and so far managed to do that every day. I walk with a different person each day, i’m lucky to have lots of friends many of whom are golfers, so am getting fitter and stronger. Plus getting out in the fresh air and going to lovely places. So hopefully this gives you some idea Re timeline and what is achievable. I just have to hope it’s gone but it’s watch this space on that and I’ll deal with it as and when if not!!! 
    Good luck with your treatment. Hope the pills help you to feel more positive. You can beat this!!! Use all the support available to you to help!! 
    Ruth 

• Thank you Ruth for replying and all the information is realy helpfull thats good that the tumour has shrunk so much and sill getting smaller.Well done on the steps im just back from treatment so another one down. Does the chemo tablets kill the C in lymp nodes ? I dont really understand that part.Glad your on road to recovery .Regards Paul

• Oooo I don’t know. Mine have definitely gone down though. I think it’s the radiation that kills everything and the chemo helps it works more effectively. I haven’t asked too many technical questions and when I have I haven’t always liked the answer!! 

• Hi all,

Yes, Ruth is correct. The chemo works in conjunction with the radiation. I was told chemo helps make the radiation more effective and impactful.

Ruth, cheers to your inspiring 10,000 steps! 

• Thank you ladies for both your replys. I think thats part of my problem what if this what if that whereas i know i should just take each stage as it comes and right now thats one day at a time through treatment. Regards Paul

• Hi  just wanted to add a welcome to those above. I just wanted to address your point about your concerns that taking antidepressants may affect the outcome of your treatment. I assume your Oncologist knows you have been prescribed antidepressants, it may help if you check with them to put your mind at rest. I was on antidepressants throughout treatment, also I was on Propanalol for anxiety and had Zopiclone to help if I was having problems sleeping. I am now 18 months post treatment and have no evidence of disease. Please click on my name to check my profile. Please always come back on here with any questions or just to voice anxieties, they’re always be someone around to help. Bev