How to tell your children

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 56 subscribers

hi

ive been diagnosed with colorectal cancer, im really tired all the time  and sick daily. I have a 7 year old, he is noticing im different. Im a single parent. 
how do you explain with out scaring him and age appropriate. Is there anywhere that offers this

many thanks 

sofia x

• Hi ,

Firstly welcome to the online community although I’m sorry you’ve had the need to find us. 

I have 2 children & although they’re older my eldest daughter has a learning disability & I was very aware of how much information I told her. She was aware that I had a lump & I had to have an operation & have some zapping (radiotherapy) to make the lump go away, i never mentioned cancer to her at all, I was lucky though & I wasn’t ill as such. My youngest was 16 & I was completely open & honest with her & told her everything that I was told. 

You are more than welcome in this group, we have all had or have a family member/friend that’s had an anal cancer diagnosis but there is a specific Bowel (colon and rectal) cancer forum  & you may find more relatable experiences there, if you click the link it should take you straight there. There’s also the Macmillan Helpline if you would like to speak to someone for some more in depth advice on how to approach your young son with what is going on at the minute. It’s a difficult one & I can only share my experience as this is a case of one size doesn’t fit all unfortunately.

Nicola