Rectal cancer

• 19 replies
  • 58 subscribers
  • Hi I have just been diagnosed with anal cancer I see my oncologist for the first time tomorrow and I am quite scared as I don't know what to expect can anyone help.
  • Hi 

Welcome to the forum . Just wondered if it’s the Anal cancer forum you are looking for . If it’s Rectal you are in the right place but happy to get admin to pop this post over to the Anal forum for you if appropriate. Please just let me know . They will be able to support and prepare you for what you will encounter .

Take care ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• I have anal cancer if you could send it to the appropriate place please as I am new to the site 

• Absolutely no problem at all . They will be able to give you the necessary support and information. Can I take the chance to wish you the very best with your treatment .

Take special care ,

Court

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi and welcome to the Group. I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Please take a look at my profile (just click on my username). I was diagnosed with anal cancer in May 2019, finished treatment in August 2019 and at my last check up a few days ago was NED (no evidence of disease). This is what they used to call being in remission.

So, after your received your diagnosis, your case would have been discussed at a MDT (Multi-Disciplinary Team Meeting) where a treatment plan will also be decided upon. Your meeting with the Oncologist will be to discuss the plan, treatment options and to sign any consent forms for chemo and radiotherapy. Depending upon the stage of the cancer, some people have surgery first.

The main treatment is a combination of chemo and radiotherapy. Usually, in the UK, there is a one off short infusion of a drug called mitomycin which is administered intravenously on day one of treatment. This only takes about 10 minutes.  Then, usually 8 tablets of capecitabine are taken daily for 5.5 weeks, Monday to Friday. Radiotherapy is also daily Monday-Friday. The actual radiotherapy itself is only of a short duration, mine was about 8 -10 minutes. 

The side effects of the chemo are usually minimal. I felt a bit nauseous in the first week but I wasn't sick. I also didn't lose the hair on my head. Some people report thinning but that didn't happen to me. There are drugs to counteract any side effects so make sure you tell the nurses and radiographers about about any side effects you may have. 

The first appointment is usually a long appointment and you will receive a lot of information. It's always helpful to write down things you want to ask before your appointment and then make a note of the answers in your appointment. There's so much to take in it's easy to forget things.  I know it's difficult with the lockdown, but are you able to take anyone with you to your appointment?  You could telephone to ask. It really does help to have someone else there to remember what has been said and pick up on anything you may have missed.  

There's people in this group at all stages of treatment and beyond treatment. There will always be someone around to provide support and answer any questions you may have. I hope all goes as well as possible tomorrow and you know where we are if you need us. Bev x

• Hi sorry I have just realised your appointment was today (it's been a long day!) I hope all went as well as possible. Bev x

• Hi Bev my appointment went well on Tuesday, I have my planning scan on Monday coming and also my pet scan and I start my treatment on the 18th march I feel a lot better now I have been given pain relief for the pain when sitting down by my GP. Thank you for your kind words of advice and guidance.

• Hello Tracey Jane

Glad to hear your consultation went well and you’re feeling better. There’s lots of advice and guidance on this site that will help you both in what to expect and suggestions of what can help you get through the treatment and beyond. I’m 2 months post treatment. 
    Feel free to ask any questions- the group is very support and you will get lots of positive support and guidance. 
    Best wishes 

Ruth 

• Hi 

I just wanted to welcome you to our group too, although I’m sorry you’ve had the need to find us. 

I don’t have much to add as Bev () has given you lots of great information in her post but I’m pleased your appointment went well & you have some dates in place, it’s so much easier when you’ve dates to aim for & it’s also great news that you’ve been given some decent pain relief too. Please don’t hesitate to ask any other questions you have, there’s usually someone with an answer, unfortunately we’ve all been there! The treatment is short & sharp but very doable & there’s lots of us here that are proof that it’s very effective treatment. 
    I’m just over 3 years post diagnosis & I’ll be 3 years post treatment in June & to my knowledge still NED, just click on my username & you can read my story there. 

I hope Monday goes well for you. 

Nicola

• Hi Nicola I was diagnosed Squamous cell cancer of the anil canal T2 N1a (mesorectal lymph node) I am not sure what all that means but they have said that they won't operate to take the disease away I am just going to start radiotherapy and chemotheropy on the 18th of this month if anyone can explain what it all means I would be so greatful.

• Hi 

T2 means the cancer is larger than 2cm but smaller than 5cm

N1A means that one lymph node is affected 

The Chemoradiotherapy is the normal treatment and will hopefully be successful in melting the tumour away. I finished my 5.5weeks treatment on 23/12/2020 so now 2 months post treatment. I have a MRI and CT scan in the next week which should identify if my tumour has gone. Mine was T3 so 7cms and in 3 lymph nodes! 
    Feel free to ask any questions - I’m happy to answer any I can help with. It is scary as it’s the unknown. 
    Ruth